Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: NO MORE $20 Million Coasters, Saith Shapiro At IAAPA  (Read 5981 times)

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
NO MORE $20 Million Coasters, Saith Shapiro At IAAPA
« on: November 22, 2006, 08:43:59 PM »
November 22, 2006

Six Flags' Shapiro Wants Families Not Roller Coasters

Michael Willis
Reporting from IAAPA

Atlanta, GA -- Mark Shapiro, the CEO and President of Six Flags delivered his keys for success at the owners and general managers breakfast at the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) expo in Atlanta last week. It's not about new rides or new technology, "at the end of the day it's about great service". Great service is one of the many ways Shapiro hopes to improve the world's largest theme park chain. Other strategies for success include providing a welcoming environment for families and finding new ways of generating income.

Mark Shapiro, CEO and President of Six Flags spoke to amusement park owners and general managers at IAAPA.  Shapiro describes the role of Six Flags as storytellers providing "emotional transportation" to their guests. Shapiro hopes that this philosophy, along with a focus on providing a family-friendly environment will be instrumental for the success of Six Flags.

He will create this environment by putting a stop to line cutting, enforcing a no smoking policy and ensuring all park guests wear shirts. Shapiro also hopes to improve customer service by hiring motivating managers and increasing employee incentives and bonus programs.

Shapiro recognizes that Six Flags must continually evolve and stay current with technology to find new sources of revenue. Technology-based revenue generating possibilities include utilizing the time while customers wait in long lines, tapping into the "third screen" of cell phones, and providing ride DVDs instead of still pictures.

There are five points that Shapiro feels are important for the success of any business in the amusement industry: Don't get complacent; Be prepared to market yourself differently; Surround yourself with smart people; Develop strong leaders and don't think of the amusement industry as a mature industry.

Shapiro closed his speech by answering questions from the audience which consisted of amusement park owners and general managers. The audience learned that there will be no admission price increase next season, there are not any decisions regarding the sale of any of the Six Flags theme parks, and that we can expect a "massive presence" from Six Flags at the IAAPA expo next year.

Shapiro also made it clear that his focus for Six Flags is to reduce debt, increase family friendly attractions and to not build any more $20 million roller coasters. Instead of expensive roller coasters, he wants to appeal to thrill-seekers through less expensive rides, citing S&S Power's new Xtreme Swing at Valley Fair.

Shapiro indicated that Six Flags has a tough road ahead as they try to appeal to families, without losing the thrill-seekers along the way.

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/news/stories/20061122_01.shtml

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
Re: NO MORE $20 Million Coasters, Saith Shapiro At IAAPA
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 08:44:55 AM »
we really can't complain here at SFGADV we have some amazing rides but they really as we all know need to be up and running . As we also need faster dispatch times which comes down to what Shapiro is saying about incentives for employees etc.

Hopefully we will see more of an improvement this season with KK and maybe we can get chiller running?

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 04:17:46 PM »
No more $20 Mill coasters are fine with me, as my favorites only cost about 4 or 5 mill ;)

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 03:19:29 AM »
Good thing El Toro cost 13.5? million...

Offline David Jr

• Parachute Training Center
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 05:44:41 PM »
Why doesn't he just say no more new coasters PERIOD, and get it over with. Right now i feel he wants to say it.
Are you ready to send those commies running back to their mommies?

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Offline coastermom

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 07:31:07 PM »
My feelings are that he can not say no more coasters forever as that would be like shooting your self in the foot. I think his main foucs now is to get the parks back to making money and not spending on only coasters as in the past. I think he is trying to make the park more family friendly by getting people with younger kids to come  and  spend their cash there. Going to the park even with season passes with a family of 5 can be expensive . Drinks , games food etc. they all add up . This is his foucs right now . we do have the tallest and fastest ride in the world but still there are issues with it and people get dissapointed . If I came only once or twice to the park and had to wait for 3 hours to ride one ride I too wouldn't come back. These are issues that need addressing . As much as I would love to have a new coaster every year that is not going to make the park any better right now.

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 02:58:42 PM »
Shapiro also hopes to improve customer service by hiring motivating managers and increasing employee incentives and bonus programs.

There we go Shapiro. Thats what we've been wanting all along.

Offline coastermom

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:14:35 PM »
Shapiro also hopes to improve customer service by hiring motivating managers and increasing employee incentives and bonus programs.

There we go Shapiro. Thats what we've been wanting all along.

Maybe he really will listen to us after all. Now maybe we can also get 4 trains on KK , 3 on nitro and both running on ET all season too. But I think I am asking too much now.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 07:26:02 PM »
Nah...not too much.  You forgot to add "...and Chiller reopened."

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 10:32:55 PM »
For the first time in a while now, I'm actually on board with Shapiro again.  I still think he is just talking the talk but we were being told all season long to just wait until it is HIS budget and see what happens.  So, this is it.  No more mega coasters - which is needed to get things back on track.  Every park could have had new sidewalks, parking lots, paint, and higher paid staff for the price tag of Golaith, Toro and Tatsu.  And these coasters wouldn't have been needed (except toro of course LOL) if things were being run correctly in the first place.

In all seriousness, 2007 better be one major kick ass season because otherwise, I'm afraid Six Flags will never recover.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 10:35:58 PM »
Why doesn't he just say no more new coasters PERIOD, and get it over with. Right now i feel he wants to say it.

I disagree with that.  Just remember that he's stated the importance of coasters to the parks.  He's not as stupid as some people may think he is.  If everyone could get to the point where they stop looking at what's good for their interest and look at the big picture, they may start to understand where he's coming from.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 10:38:10 PM »
Alright, no new coasters PERIOD - for probably 4-5 years lol.  They will obviously return eventually but I do see several years of no new coasters going in.

Unfortunately, what I invision even more is moving coasters around to various parks - like Cedar Fair.

Offline David Jr

• Parachute Training Center
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 04:53:25 PM »
I am all in favor of what he wants to do. i'm just saying i'm getting this vibe that he doesn't want anymore coasters ever but he won't admit it.
Are you ready to send those commies running back to their mommies?

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Offline CoasterPete

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 05:29:55 PM »
Well, if that truely is how Shapiro feels....big deal.  He isn't going to be the CEO forever.  I agree that the company can do without adding large coasters consistantly for a few years if they improve other areas.  I doubt they'll abandon coasters, but for a couple years, its not such a bad idea. 

Pete
Florida's hidden secret.....the Dania Beach Hurricane!

Offline Deadman

• Carousel
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 05:38:55 PM »
If I remember correctly he has said he knows the importance of the teenage market, as well as families (families being more important), so I doubt he will completely abandon coasters.
is back? in black?

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 07:41:01 PM »
No more $20 Mill coasters are fine with me, as my favorites only cost about 4 or 5 mill ;)
I'll take those 3-6 million coasters any day
Like the cornball Express and
The Voyage 6.5 million
plus many more  ;D
we need a The Gravity Group coaster in this area I can't wait to see/ride what they build next

I also love my little local Tsunami and I heard great reviews about Avalanche
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 07:48:16 PM by pcman »
Yo

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 07:44:11 PM »
I can.

I've been much more impressed with the S and S's, like Avalanche...and with El Toro.

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 08:50:23 AM »
I really, really hope he thinks High capacity when it comes to thrill rides and family rides. The park seriously needs to balance out witht he amount of coasters so the lines can even out and stop being so ridiculous. Families need family rides, period. I think we have a decent amount of shows. Reading the part about ride Dvd's, I wonder if this means working TV's back in the queue lines with maybe some ride footage set to some good music? The Dj's were great but, we couldn't have them in every queue. This is going to be an interesting upcoming season.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 09:07:07 AM »
The DVD's are actually already in use at one of the Paramount parks I believe.  Its just like a on-ride photo that you buy at the end of your ride but instead is a on-ride video of you riding.  Its just like being on the POV cam for media day ;).  Its a good idea but I'd really like to see them getting the coasters working right first, then worry about this crap.  Esp. since it will add weight and complexity to the trains.  They really need to look at a system like Disney has now with the photopass as well.  Some rides now let you swipe your photopass card on the way off the ride if you don't feel like dealing with the line or carrying the photo all day long.

I agree big time Di, we need more family rides - NOT kiddie sections or thrill rides.  We are heavy now on the kiddie ride areas which is great and we have a ton of great coasters.  Now they need to fill in the middle.  This would actually add major capacity which will shorten lines elsewhere.  Something like a disco or gee, get this, a pendulum.

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 09:24:18 AM »
Oh ok Wade, now I see what they mean by DVD's. That's great too but, I hope they can work the camera so that people seated behind you aren't in the Video. You know how rude some of our guests can be. When I think S&S for thrill rides I envision low capacity. I know they have higher capacity rides but, I hope they go back to Huss and yes, I shudder to say the sometimes way to Uncomfy Zamperla thrill rides. There are lot's of holes where good rides used to be so, there's no excuse not to be able to cheaply throw rides in. There is no major land excavation needed with all the old slots we have.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 12:36:24 PM »
I hope they go back to Huss as well. I love those Giant Frisbees and they can also probaly get an Enterprise from them as well...

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 02:09:37 PM »
They can add a Giant 300' + drop tower anywhere less then 80 feet across footprint that includes the Q,  these rides are fun and will sell tickets  same with the Frissbee .
But I'm happy as long as all ries are up and running with all Trains on the coasters.
Yo

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 07:42:27 PM »
Given all the problems that Dollywood, Kings Island and others have had with recent Huss installations, I doubt you see a Huss any time soon.  And that doesn't even take into account the recent Huss bankruptcy.

The Paramount Park with onride DVD's is Carowinds.  Cedar Fair is purportedly looking to expand that system.  It's currently on Top Gun: The Jet Coaster, and looks to have added VERY minimal weight.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 10:43:48 PM »
I know the Doo Wop at Morey's Pier and the Flitzer in Ocean City also have onride DVD's you can purchase.

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 08:45:23 PM »
I know the Doo Wop at Morey's Pier and the Flitzer in Ocean City also have onride DVD's you can purchase.

A few on Morey's Pier do actually. I know Nor'Easter has the camera in the back of the seat in front of you. Its a pretty nifty feature, although I don't know who would want to re-live a ride on an SLC ::)