Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Photo TR: Coney Island Opening Day 2008  (Read 1149 times)

Offline CycloneMan

• Houdini's Great Escape
  • Great Adventure where you're part of the fun!
    • North East Coasters
Photo TR: Coney Island Opening Day 2008
« on: March 16, 2008, 10:05:11 PM »
My brother, sister, mother and I, headed out for our yearly tradition to go back to our homeland...Coney Island. We are from Coney Island originally, but now moved and live 15 minutes away. Astroland said the opening festivities of the Cyclone would start at 11:30, and we got there at 11:30 where we met up with Kenny and his mom. Nothing strarted until 12:00, and the ride didn't open to the public until 12:30. We got up there and were horrified to see that they have added more padding to the Cyclone, where they have it that only one person per seat (depending). My brother and I used to sit together, but now we can't even try. My little sister and I squeezed in together, and it was a tight squeeze. They had 3 guys hold the lap bar down as they locked it. The ride was incredibly painfull like this, and I came off with my legs numb. My favorite coaster then went down to my least favorite.

Disclaimer: My video camera decided to break, and I can't get my footage onto the laptop (at this time), so I would have more shots (stills), but sadly, you can't see them. So deal with what you get.

Photos

Good thing we didn't wait for the front row.

Savannah and I squeezed in.

Train leaving.

Everybody came off complaining about the new padding. It is not at all comfortable!

Me, not feeling so hot after.

Savannah feels destroyed!

Kenny and Anthony getting stapled, when last year they could have sat together with room between.

Yes Kenny, we all had the same reaction!

A train full of happy riders?

"I can finally feel my legs....kinda"

Savannah showing the on-ride photo.

This is where I got punched in my stomach, and my legs squished!

To all the Great Adventure kids...HAHA! Our season started allready! :P

Family shot: Savannah, Me, Mom, and Anthony.

Yearly photo with me and Colleen

Bill, Colleen, Me, and Savannah

Ms Cyclone and CycloneMan

Story Time
Savannah, Anthony, Kenny, Bill, Colleen and I decided to give the Cyclone a second chance. We all were going to ride in the back, but by this point, they weren't latting two riders (unless it was a kid and parent...and even then, not always). Savannah and Colleen were boarding before us, and decided to get the second to last row, but before even giving them a chance, they told them they couldn't sit together, so Savannah sat behind her in the last row...by herself. Now, you must understand. Savannah has Arthritis and is small for her age, so everyone in the station were all "OMFG NO WAYZZ!!!" and we didn't realize it was her, until we saw her leave the station, and we thought it was the funniest thing. Then we saw her on the list, where she realized she was in the last row! Then we finally rode, single file. It was a little better, but my body moved during the ride, but my legs stayed in place...and it hurt! Okay, back to the pictures.

Good bye Cyclone. Please get better, I really REALLY want to like riding you again! :(

Hey! Weren't you supposed to close allready? :p

Hope you enjoyed the update!

-Dainan "Dissapointed with my ride" Rafferty

Coaster Count: 255

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
Re: Photo TR: Coney Island Opening Day 2008
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 10:50:06 PM »
Looks like it became Rolling Thunder...
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 07:07:39 AM »
It actually looks like it may have taken the crown for most cramped seats on a US wooden coaster from The Georgia Cyclone.  I fear that padding may be high density urethane foam.  If it is, don't look for it to soften any as the season goes on...it won't.

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 12:29:45 PM »
Nice pics...

From the looks of how the new padding is making the ride feel.. I'm kind of glad I got to ride it last year when I did. From what I'm told by a Coney local, it was running a 9/10 that night.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!