Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Guest decapitated at SFoG  (Read 8502 times)

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
Guest decapitated at SFoG
« on: June 28, 2008, 05:05:08 PM »
CNN just reported that a teenage boy was decapitated after going into Batman: The Ride's track area.
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka

Offline nitroblast

• Koala Canyon
    • http://myspace.com/bgatesstinks
Re: Guest decapitated at SFoG
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 05:37:31 PM »
horrible that it happened, but the area is fenced off for a reason. but yet another kick in the balls for six flags and the amusement industry. even though it had nothing to do with riding the ride of safety itself, people will think another death means that the park isnt safe.
Excuse me, do these effectively hide my thunder?

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 05:44:06 PM »
Except, except, except...just like should the tiger have been able to leap the fence at the San Fran zoo (it turned out the fence was lower than standards required), should teens be able to leap fences around restricted coaster areas?  Isn't it quite possible the fence was too low?  I am in no way defending the kids here, but it appears to me the company and park may have a problem here...how DID that kid get in that area (and apparently other kids as well)?  And think about this, it would appear that a rider's foot contacted the boy....was that rider hurt?  Can you imagine living with that?  How truly awful...one minute you are sitting there happily riding minding your own business, and then....

Same thing apparently happened at Great America in California on Top Gun, at the time the guest in the train suffered a broken leg, if memory serves.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 05:53:54 PM »
Great Nor easter killed a park employee after being hit in the head by a riders foot.  That rider had a broken foot afterwards so that might be what you were thinking of.

This really does suck though.  Both for the industry as Nitroblast pointed out and for the poor soul that had the unfortunate luck of hitting this person.

I know where you are going wow but a fence is a fence.  And the warning signs are very clear.  I remember Six Flags going bonkers over the last few years adding these signs around every single ride so there is no way there wasn't a warning within 5 feet of this kid.

Sadly, the park will probably be found at fault regardless and have to settle out of court.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 05:56:39 PM »
They certainly have not settled out of court with the Lassiter family at Kentucky Kingdom, and that case appears far different from this one...what did Ms. Lassiter do other than get on the ride?  I would hope they would NOT settle a case like this Batman incident out of court, given what we know so far...in this case, the victim appears to have voluntarily placed himself in harm's way, quite literally.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 06:02:07 PM »
If anything, the rider that was presumably injured (no reports yet though) should be filing a lawsuit against the family of the kid that entered the zone.  But most likely they will sue Six Flags since he managed to get in there.

The Lassiter situation is largely different since they are dealing with a ride malfunction but I see your point.  I'm really curious to see where they go with this.  A LOT will depend on the type of family this child comes from.  Of course, there is no excuse and Six Flags deserves the book if the fence were not the right height because that would really be no different than leaving the gate open.

Somehow though, I don't think they will be able to find fault with the park.  This is just a horrible horrible accident.

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 06:29:04 PM »
Teenager + Saturday guest = trouble waiting to happen. ANYWAY, another accident happened at Batman at SFoG when a maintenance worker parked his truck in the path of an oncoming train.
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 07:11:24 PM »
This article clears up if there were any other injuries.  Somehow, nobody else was injured.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/06/28/theme.park.fatality/index.html

Something tells me we aren't getting the whole story.  Perhaps he was hit by the actual train itself where there were no riders?

This is just horrible.  I agree Dan, guests check their brain at the gate.  Especially kids on a Saturday.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 08:19:55 PM »
The Six Flags official statement;

Six Flags Statement on Teen's Decapitation
Last Edited: Saturday, 28 Jun 2008, 5:33 PM EDT
Created: Saturday, 28 Jun 2008, 5:33 PM EDT
Six Flags Over Georgia

A 17-year old park visitor scaled two six-foot fences that secured the Batman roller coaster and was struck and killed by the coaster at approximately 2 p.m. today. We do not know why this person was intent on gaining access to this restricted area, as multiple signs clearly state: Danger Zone / Do Not Enter / Authorized Personnel Only.

Some witnesses have stated that the individual was trying to retrieve something he had lost. Others reported that he was trying to touch the ride. This is merely speculation at this point, and we are working with park visitors and local police to learn more. No guests on the ride were injured. The visitor?s family was at the park with him, and Six Flags representatives are currently with the family. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 08:45:46 PM »
It is a very sad situation . I logged on to AOL and there is a shot of TDK with one of our own members in the train...  Cycloneman ... Go log on to see it . I hope it is not his brother I am pretty sure it is him though.   I read the release on AOL news and to me I say it is the kids fault for being there BUT we all know that the park is going to be sued . I feel for the family of this kid but we have all seen the stupid things these kids do at the parks .

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 09:01:45 PM »
Here is that link coastermom - http://news.aol.com/story/_a/teen-decapitated-by-six-flags-coaster/20080628184409990001?icid=100214839x1204956316x1200214403

They goofed (as usual) and used a picture of a "similar" batman ride from Great Adventure.  Meanwhile, the "similar" ride at SFOG is inverted, has a different name, goes upsidedown, is built by a different manufacturer and is outdoors.  Sigh...

Its only a matter of time before the accident in NJ from the 80's is brought into this or Ed Markey.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 09:10:37 PM »
two 6 foot fences
we will no be seeing 10 foot fences in all parks,audio warnings and giant signs.

Its like come on people know NOT to WALK IN TO A MOVING TRAIN in any given town.
This person may have been intoxicated or just crazy.

But the park will be blamed the stock my fall  :-[ and my wife will really not want to get on a coaster.

yes those pics are just "stock photos"

Yo

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 09:29:32 PM »
I guarantee a new memo will go out to all ride employees and maintenance employees. This is one thing Six Flags does quickly--make things even more idiot proof after the actions of one individual. A few years ago I posted on another site that walls should have been put up around the low lying areas of Batman when the park made changes after the SFMM employee stood on the tracks of Scream when an oncoming train hit her.
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline nitroblast

• Koala Canyon
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 09:57:56 PM »
Ed Markey Mark is gonna have another field day. Even though this is just visitor supidity, Im sure he is going to have a new bill written by monday for some regulations on fences.

And this event should not happen. Seriously. Even if somebody would jump the fence, to retrieve something, they would have at least checked for the train.

Then again, if its the attempting to grab somebody theory, its even worse. Six Flags can't do anything to prevent stupidity like this.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 09:58:55 PM »
Really?  I hate to say it, but why would not a taller fence have worked?

Offline nitroblast

• Koala Canyon
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 10:00:24 PM »
I'm sure it would have, but teens can jump anything these days. Although sounding like a feat, a taller fence is still jumpable.

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 10:10:12 PM »
Maybe they should have used electric fences.
Then again that's another reason to sue.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 11:45:31 PM »
^^^ Seriously, a bigger fence?   Not only did he jump one, but two 6ft fences.  Next you'll tell me they should enclose the ride in a cage.   If it's going to save a life, I'm all for the electric fence Ken

"Stupid is as stupid does"  Forrest Gump 1994
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 11:47:32 PM by Bubba Z »

Offline CycloneMan

• Houdini's Great Escape
  • Great Adventure where you're part of the fun!
    • North East Coasters

Coaster Count: 255

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 06:48:59 AM »
That's because they have changed the photo...after being advised of their error, no doubt.  Which brings up one of my pet peeves. It was the Gary Story Six Flags administration that changed an early Premier Parks policy. Premier was the company that bought Six Flags (and had been previously a real estate company named Tierco). Premier Parks had been VERY proud that it was wise enough not to name all its parks with the chain moniker (just like Cedar Fair has not called it Cedar Fair's Park Name...like Cedar Fair's Kings Island). In fact, they removed the Paramount's from the former CBS parks, taking a step in the other direction.

Just like what happened after the Louisville incident, many, many people in places from New Jersey to California will know that this most recent tragedy happened at their local Six Flags. To make things worse, since there are so many Batman rides, they will be certain of it and it happened on that Batman, right there. Heck, AOL has already pulled a stock Dark Knight photo and used it to illustrate the trains in Georgia.

Naming different things the same has advantages, but it also has huge disadvantages. What is bad and happens at one affects them all.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 07:11:23 AM »
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution article has been significantly revised and updated:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/cobb/stories/2008/06/28/six_flags_death.html

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 10:21:22 AM »
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/teen-decapitated-by-six-flags-coaster/20080628184409990001?icid=100214839x1204956316x1200214403

...I don't see me....

They changed the photo... IT was a photo fo the dark knight and I am pretty sure you and someone else were in orange t shirts riding the ride . I guess someone must have realized it was the wrong photo for the ride in question .

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 10:43:06 AM »
Yes, it was Dainan and Tom from Dark Knights media day.  They likely fixed the error since six flags doesn't appreciate mistakes like this.