Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Big Dipper Lovers Hopeful, Geauga Lake Land Sale Stalls  (Read 2451 times)

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Big Dipper Lovers Hopeful, Geauga Lake Land Sale Stalls
« on: August 22, 2008, 07:15:15 AM »
Big Dipper Lovers Hopeful as Cedar Fair's Land Sale Stalls:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/regional/akron_article.aspx?storyid=94868&catid=6

and

Cedar Fair might wait on sale of Geauga Lake Land:

http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2008/08/cedar_fair_might_wait_on_sale.html

Some observations:

* It may not just be Cedar Fair that decided the amounts offered for all but 11 acres were too small.  The creditors may well have decided the amounts were insufficient for what is collateral for debt.

* These are difficult times for real estate sales.  Note that even distressed Six Flags has not sold any land lately.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Re: Big Dipper Lovers Hopeful, Geauga Lake Land Sale Stalls
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 06:32:25 PM »
Owner Says Big Dipper To Be Demolished:

http://www.auroraadvocate.com/news/article/4894457

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 07:00:03 PM »
This hurts me perhaps even more than losing the Big Bad Wolf. The Big Dipper is one of my all-time favorite coasters and I'm just saying that now. It has always been in my top ten since I first rode some 450 coasters ago (in 1998). It has impressed me even more over time and is pretty secured in the top 5 spot for me. It's going to take a lot to ever knock it out of my top ten.  If nothing else, I wish someone would rebuild it brand new. The design made for some of the most violent airtime on any woodie. With the exception of one drop in the turnaround section, the backseat airtime was slammin' at the bottom of every drop. Oh how I miss this ride.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 07:04:04 PM »
I really hope that someone buys it. I ride with that kind of history should never be torn down because of a money problem. And I thought the buyers we're going to move the ride to another park
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 07:05:35 PM by B-mac »

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »
If it can't stay standing where it is, it makes more sense to me to just re-build it from scratch elsewhere. It would have to be brought up to code at any new location (possibly even in its current location since it's been idle so long). So likely the classic trains with no seat divider or seat belt would be replaced and the overall look of the structure would be a little different (taller handrails being the main code requirement).

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 05:30:44 AM »
The former Geauga Lake amusement park sits abandoned, overgrown and forlorn, a giant concrete lot that once served as a popular summer attraction for local families.

The sounds of carousel music, the whooshing and whirring of the rides, and the screams and laughter of roller coaster fans have been silenced forever.

The old park's main attraction, the wooden Big Dipper roller coaster, will soon be a pile of wood and steel, after its anonymous owner announced Tuesday that he failed to sell the 1925-era ride on eBay and has no choice but to demolish it....

Meanwhile, Bainbridge Township trustees are debating the fate of the 400-acre portion of the property that sits in the township. They are considering talks with Aurora, which has 200 acres of the old park.

The Bainbridge portion is zoned commercial/recreational, but most local and county officials agree that it's not likely that anyone will buy the land and develop it into another amusement park. Cedar Fair still operates Wildwater Kingdom on the adjacent property, formerly known as Sea World.

"I can't see us developing commercial recreation there," Township Trustee Jeff Markley said during a lengthy discussion Monday night.

Markley said he would like to work with Aurora to develop a mixed use zoning plan for the property, which Geauga County Planning Director David Dietrich said is the largest remaining chunk of commercial land left in the county....

Much more at:

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2010/09/15/news/nh3033500.txt

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 06:09:57 PM »
The big dipper has been saved! screamscape says:
One of the big stories today is that the former Geauga Lake Big Dipper has been saved from demolition. A pair of readers over at the Negative-G Fourm have pooled their resources and have officially purchased the coaster from the previous owner.
    “We are planning to carefully dismantle the coaster and move it into an indoor storage facility we already have arrangements with. We will be needing a lot of help with this project - donations in the form of money and services, volunteer labor, all manor of things.”
    You can read up on all the details and see how you can help them out with the project at www.savethebigdipper.org.

Help donate in any way possible!!!

Offline jimmybjammin

• Raja's Rickshaws
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 02:22:18 AM »
Thanks for the last link B-mac, I sent Kat an email to assist for them for website.