Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Fun with HDTV  (Read 2830 times)

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
Fun with HDTV
« on: September 28, 2008, 01:32:20 AM »
So I finally got my first true HD set today.  Last night I stumbled upon the smallest, and cheapest Full HD (yes, 1080i) HD set I ever saw, and snatched it up today after a low-grade hunt. 23" screen, $298.00 price.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10248592

I liked the picture on the Polaroid LCD sets that I saw before, so I wasn't worried about image quality at all when I stumbled upon it.  I ended up having to go to the 4th closest Wal-Mart since the three closest were sold out, and the one I eventually got it from only had one left when I called, which they were nice enough to hold/hide for me. 

I brought it home and the picture is BEAUTIFUL!  For the apartment I share with my girlfriend, the size is perfect.  If you're watching sports or movies, the speakers are weak at 5 Watts (IIRC).  iO HD pumps in at 1080i, so that looks great as well, with my only gripe being that the HDMI port on standard HD boxes isn't active.  It's only a gripe because I use a Phillips Auto 4 Way Component Switcher, which flips out when you pump 1080i through it.  It'll only be a problem till Monday anyway since we're getting an HD DVR, and that has an active HDMI port. :D 

So, what are you guys watching!
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Re: Fun with HDTV
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 09:45:03 AM »
I have a beautiful standard def 36" Sony WEGA which unfortunately just won't die :(

It's going on 5 years old now and quite honestly still has the best standard-def tube picture I've ever seen.  And with FIOS, the picture is even more perfect :D  It even has RGB inputs that I have my DVD player hooked into.

It's only issue is that its not HD :(  I just can't see throwing away a perfectly good TV that cost over $1,000 5 years ago when nothing is wrong with it.

That LCD sounds like the perfect size for our bedroom though :)

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 10:34:01 AM »
I have a solution Wade, give it to me!

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 11:46:28 AM »
Sony makes great products.  I feel like they are very overpriced in most cases though, and that keeps me away. A TV from them is probably the only thing I'd feel it was somewhat justified with since they tend to hold up, unlike their gaming systems. LOL.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 11:50:41 AM »
I 100% agree with you on the price thing.  They seem to think folks will pay more just for the name - and look what I did LOL

And sorry Chuck, but no :D  Plus, the fact that it weighs in at 290lb means that I'm not moving it until I must :)

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 11:55:49 AM »
When the time comes for me to purchase a new television, or if I want a bigger one for my living room in my new house, I'm going to look into Sharp Aquios. I've heard nothing but great thigns about them and their picture is incredible, as is most HDTV sets.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 11:58:04 AM »
/\ plus that physics dude on the commercial says they are the best so they must be good :)

I've also heard that the Sharps are good.

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 12:43:53 PM »
I've still not jumped on the HDTV band wagon.
I just can't think of giving up my ReplayTV.
And watching a SD signal on an HDTV is just horrid.

Seems FIOS is making many of the new HDTV programs ONDEMAND.
Which is a smart move in my opinion. 
They are starting to realize that people don't want to watch shows on a networks schedule.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 02:43:45 PM »
I still have my Standard Toshiba 36" in the Living room that won't die its about 15 years old got it at Crazy Eddies in Moorestown for a still at $1000 (not anymore).
And in the Bedroom I have a 32" I got 2 years ago on Black Friday for $199.
and a few others around the house. Also all my friends have HiDef TVs 60" + so I watch football at their place  ;)

I can watch HDTV on my 22" Computer Monitor but its 22"

I'm still waiting for the New HDTV that have the LED backlights (brighter and last longer) and 120Hz refresh rate to come down in price.

I did see a deal that I just missed buying it was a NEW Samsung 50" Plasma for $597 (free ship or Best Buy Pickup)
just had to add the Samsung Home THeatre package (DVD,Speakers,Receiver etc.) to it and it takes off $400
so both would be around $997 and I was going to turn around and sell the Home THeatre Package.

THis was the absolute best Deal I ever seen and I'm kicking myself for not jumping on it before the deal was dead.

I will post any Deals I see during this upcoming Holiday Season.

here is the deal Liink
www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/864810?highlight_key=y&keyword1=samsung

here below is a 50" Panasonic Plasma for $999 with a free $400 value message lounge recling  chair or $799 for 42"
www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/865687/

FYI 1080P is Full HiDef but no one transmits it (most only transmit 1080i or 720P) can only be seen on BlueRay
I see Dishnetwork is offering 1080p in its on demand service

deal links
http://dealnews.com
www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 03:28:04 PM by PcMan »
Yo

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 12:17:46 AM »
All I have for now HD Wise is a 20" TV, it is a Westinghouse. Ideally, I want to get a 35-40'' HDTV for my living room so I can see my sports in HD!

I know that because MSG (Rangers Network) is owned by Crapblevision/Crap Warner, they are being selfish and wont share their HD with FIOS
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 12:25:19 AM »
I keep forgetting that 1080p even exist since no one ever talks about it, lol.  Speaking of resolution, I saw an HDMI cable in Radio Shack that transmits a signal capable of 1440p.  :o :o :o :o :o I could only imagine what that would look like.

I'm really loving this TV. Even in 480p, Discovery Channel's nature shows look like I'm staring at the scene through a window, and not TV at all.  Standard definition programming looks perfectly fine with it as well.  I was concerned about SD shows looking like pixelated garbage, but that was completely unfounded.

Robb, I'm jealous of your FiOS. Ever since I stared at that Sharp Aquos on their cart from about 3 feet away and not seeing a single pixel, when Space Mountain's break room had the same set and at about 4 feet away it looked like a mess, I've been a believer in their "Best Picture Period" claims.  It's simply awesome.

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 12:31:53 AM »
Indeed it is RJ, I love it and have not had one problem with it since!

BTW, A fun fact for everybody who has HD:

If I am not mistaken, HD sees things better then your own two eyes do, even if you have 20/20, perfect vision
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 10:49:59 AM »
I wanna know where the hell is my SPEED HD channel! Oh well...I have CSN HD for now. :)

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 03:20:15 PM »
here are a few Movie Trailers in 1080p if your Monitor supports it. these are around 110mb they do have smaller formats 720p 480p etc.

the New Very Cool Looking
Star Trek Movie for Summer 2009 from the person that made (Lost,Fringe,Cloverfield,Mission Impossible 3 etc.)

http://downloads.paramount.com/mp/startrek/ST_TRL1_1080p.mov

Upcoming Max Payne Movie
http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?sid=69830662&sdm=web&pt=rd

here www.movie-list.com you can download trailers just click on the movie link and select save-as

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 03:22:45 PM by PcMan »
Yo