Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Busch Theme Parks SOLD to Blackstone  (Read 6651 times)

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Busch Theme Parks SOLD to Blackstone
« on: January 15, 2009, 07:19:29 PM »
WILLIAMSBURG - The Financial Times of London reported Thursday that bidders are lining up for the anticipated sale of $7 billion in assets that brewing giant InBev wants to unload as part of its $52 billion takeover of Anheuser-Busch.

Chief among those assets is Busch Entertainment, which operates 10 theme parks including Busch Gardens Europe and Water Country USA. The sale is expected to reap up to $4 billion....

http://www.vagazette.com/news/local/va-news01152,0,1970371.story
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:11:24 PM by GADVwow »

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Re: Sale Expected Soon On Busch Theme Parks
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 07:00:57 PM »
Finding A Bigger Pond For Seaworld:

..With a virtual for-sale sign planted in front of Shamu Stadium, AB InBev wants out of the theme-park business — presenting a rare opening for other big tourism players to nab some premium assets.

Think about this: Universal Parks & Resorts and Busch Entertainment Corp. Together they would create a theme-park empire that could begin to rival Walt Disney World....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/orl-biz-kassab-031109,0,4916547.column

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:26:12 PM »
Hopefully it is sold to someone who wants to keep the parks open and run them the way only AB could have done for so many years.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 09:00:34 PM »
There is no doubt about these assets continuing to operate as theme parks. My concern is that Universal doesn't come close to operating how busch did before the inbev mess. I see disney taking seaworld and discovery cove myself. Plus, the west coast sea world is right near the possible new cruise ship port.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:20:16 PM »
...Speculation remains that the company's entertainment division -- including Anheuser-Busch's Sea World and Busch Gardens franchises -- remains high on the "to sell" list. Considering the economic climate and the struggling theme-park industry, a qualified buyer, at least in the U.S., may be hard to find anytime soon.

The poor balance sheets of Cedar Fair (NYSE: FUN) and Great Wolf Resorts (Nasdaq: WOLF) won't support an offer. Six Flags has filed for bankruptcy protection. And the strongest of the lot, Disney (NYSE: DIS), doesn't appear to need the additional challenges of buying a competitor, especially one that has three Orlando attractions within shouting distance of Disney World....

http://www.fool.com/investing/value/2009/07/16/is-this-bud-for-you.aspx

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 09:43:12 PM »
Blackstone Group LP, the world’s largest private-equity firm, may buy the amusement-park business of Anheuser-Busch InBev NV for about $2.5 billion to $3 billion, according to a person familiar with the discussions.

An agreement may come as soon as next week, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private. The negotiations may not result in a transaction, the person said. Representatives of Blackstone and InBev declined to comment.

InBev, the world’s largest brewer, inherited the SeaWorld and Busch Gardens amusement parks as part of its $52 billion merger with Anheuser-Busch last year. The company has since cut jobs, culled marketing budgets and sold assets to pay down debt....

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a8cifvkwJqZI

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 10:11:38 PM »
If only they could save the Big Bad Wolf.

Offline kingdakafan

• Movietown Water Effect
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 11:32:23 PM »
i smell sf 50th anniversary written all over this

Intamin rhymes with win for a reason!

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 01:25:44 AM »
Written all over what?
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 03:35:16 AM »
Yes, please explain.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 09:32:53 AM »
i smell sf 50th anniversary written all over this

What the hell is that suppose to mean?

Offline kingdakafan

• Movietown Water Effect
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 03:50:36 PM »
This would be a great oppourtunitty for six flags to purchase more land for their 50th anniversary.

Intamin rhymes with win for a reason!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 04:04:11 PM »
As the topic reads, Blackstone Group is likely purchasing the parks. And besides, six flags has zero capital to purchase such an asset. These parks will fetch more than the 2.5 billion of debt they already have!

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 09:26:13 AM »

Sale expected today or tomorrow, lets hope a Universal pass will be accepted at the other parks

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20091005-709328.html

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-bk-busch-entertainment-blackstone-100509,0,6204349.story

Blackstone Group
(BX) is poised to complete a buyout of Anheuser-Busch InBev NV's (BUD) theme parks in a deal worth between $2.5 billion and $3 billion with an announcement likely as soon as Tuesday, a person familiar with the situation told Dow Jones Newswires Monday.

The widely anticipated deal is part of the Belgian brewing giant's program to reduce debt following its $52 billion takeover of U.S. Anheuser-Busch last November.

Already this year the company has sold its South Korean brewing business to Kohlberg Kravis Roberts for $1.8 billion and three beverage-can manufacturing plants and a metal lid plant to Ball Corp. (BLL) for $577 million. It is also in talks to sell its Central and Eastern Europe brewing operations to CVC Capital Partners.

The Busch Entertainment unit owns SeaWorld and Busch Gardens parks in the U.S. and, if completed, the deal will add to Blackstone's existing portfolio of leisure and entertainment properties. In Europe the buyout shop's Merlin Entertainments Group owns Legoland and Sea Life.
-----------------------
The Blackstone Group's long-rumored deal to buy SeaWorld Orlando-owner Busch Entertainment Corp. from Anheuser-Busch InBev is expected to be announced as early as tomorrow, according to multiple people familiar with the talks.

The price tag is thought to be between $2.5 billion and $3 billion, these people said. It is possible, though unlikely, that the deal could still fall apart.

The deal would make Blackstone an even bigger player in the global tourism industry. The private-equity giant already owns a 50 percent stake in Universal Orlando and a controlling stake in Merlin Entertainments Group, the British amusement operator whose holdings include Legoland theme parks and Madame Tussauds wax museums.

Busch is the second-largest theme-park operator in the United States, with 10 theme parks around the country, including SeaWorld, Discovery Cove and Aquatica in Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. The Walt Disney Co. is the largest.

Blackstone is expected to operate Busch as a standalone investment, rather than combine it with another holding, at least in the near future.

The deal has drawn widespread attention in financial circles, as it would be the largest private-equity buyout announced this year.

Belgium-based Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world's largest beer brewer, has been looking for a buyer for Busch Entertainment since InBev completed a $52 billion acquisition of Anheuser-Busch last year. Company executives have said they want to shed non-core assets and use the money to pay down debt incurred during the merger.
Yo

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 03:35:45 PM »
So Busch Entertainment is being sold to pay for debt in the aquisition of Anheuser. That's a smart move financially but how will this affect the outlook of the Busch parks?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 05:01:46 PM »
The hope is it should actually improve things.  I know for a fact (for various personal reasons) that Inbev was destroying them.  So I'm guessing it can't get any worse.  And Blackstone has done a fairly decent job being hands-off in their other properties so that is a good sign as well :).

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 06:51:07 PM »
By hands-off you mean they're not for sale, right?

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 07:01:58 PM »
No.  By hands-off he means they have let the managers in place continue to manage the properties without a lot of "guidance" and directives.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 02:10:57 PM »
SOLD:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-seaworld-orlando-sold-100709,0,1554695.story?track=rss

From that article:

...Perhaps the most noticeable change: Budweiser's iconic Clydesdale horses will be removed from SeaWorld and Busch Gardens parks. Atchison said the horses will remain a part of Anheuser-Busch's beer-marketing division. Some Anheuser-Busch signage will also likely be taken down n the coming weeks.

But beyond that, "I don't think guests will see a change," Atchison said. "There's going to be a lot of continuity."...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:19:02 PM by GADVwow »

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
Re: Busch Theme Parks SOLD to Blackstone
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 02:40:36 PM »
Well, with the clydesdales leaving. that opens up a new area in BGW by the Italy area. possibly for another country.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 02:50:52 PM »

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 03:05:36 PM »
Sounds like very good things to come for the ex-BEC parks.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 09:22:05 AM »
Shamu Deserves A Devoted Owner:

...The buyer this week was Blackstone Group, a New York private equity company. Again, SeaWorld has an owner without theme parks or entertainment as a core competency. Private equity firms essentially do not have cores anyway. They typically buy companies, cut costs, fix up the financial numbers and eventually sell them to someone else for a profit.

Blackstone already has acquired other theme parks that needed financial fixes, such as Universal Orlando Resort.

Once all its parks are on steadier financial footing, Blackstone could sell the whole package to a company with entertainment core competencies. In theory, SeaWorld finally would have a suitable owner.

Let's hope Blackstone knows what it is doing. Cutting costs at SeaWorld parks appears difficult. The new owner cannot exactly give walking papers, say, to the penguins and belugas and keep the orcas, dolphins and sea lions. Cutting jobs won't save much. Young workers don't earn much in the way of salaries.

Raise ticket prices? Cut operating days? Those options seem more like suicide than sensible cost-cutting.

Theme parks need continuity and long-term planning to bring in new attractions. Otherwise, the crowds will dwindle. Changing owners can disrupt planning....

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/63902202.html

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 09:37:14 AM »
Busch Family Kept Close Eye on Parks:

http://www.staugustine.com/stories/101009/business_2067474.shtml

Includes a short history of the Busch parks.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 10:30:35 AM »
The article two posts up I believe was written by someone very out of touch with the industry. In fact, blackstone is probably the most suitable owner these parks have had in a long time. They will provide funding and let the parks run as they should. Inbev meanwhile was doing everything to the parks that the editor was concerned about. I'm writing on my phone so I hope at least some of that made sense lol. Just the fact that these parks can pre-order enough brass for the year (maybe Kraken will operate 2 trains on a more regular basis) will be enough alone to show that these parks will improve!