Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: More info on this ride?  (Read 2308 times)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
More info on this ride?
« on: April 28, 2009, 02:14:06 PM »
I saw this in Railers gallery and couldn't believe I didn't know more about it.  Railer or anybody else, do you have more details on this ride?

[smg id=392]

edit:  Oops, I forgot to add the picture lol
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:16:48 PM by WadeJ »

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
Re: More info on this ride?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 02:39:51 PM »
I went on this ride on the first visit to GA and liked it allot. It was called Super Sidewinder and was made by HUSS. All I can add is that it was a cross between a scrambler and a calypso (in that it pulls allot of Gs.) I didn't know at that time that it was located in the back of the kiddie section in the area now occupied by Splashwater Oasis and Balin's Bazaar. When I saw the new Joust-a-Bout in '82, I thought the park had removed SSW, which they did by the start of the following season.

Without a scrambler or any spin ride that pulls allot of G's (minus those tea cups), it would be the perfect ride for the park. It holds 144 people per cycle!

I have an aerial pic of it. Harry scanned it and has it on History...somewhere.  :D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:53:52 PM by darkridedan »
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline GAcoaster

• Jungleland Express
    • GreatAdventureHistory.com
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 03:08:04 PM »
It was actually a Chance ride and as far as we've been able to find out, the only one of its kind.   

Apparently Great Adventure purchased the prototype from Chance and they never built another one.

With all the searching through pictures and archives we've done, we haven't been able to find very many pictures of it.   I remember riding it and it was a blast!   

Eerily familiar with the story behind Viper...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:09:49 PM by GAcoaster »

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 03:16:21 PM »
Very cool. Thanks for the details. One has to wonder if it still resides in the boneyard...

Offline GAcoaster

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 03:23:37 PM »
Nope, it's LONG gone.

Harry has a copy of the Chance Rides ad for the ride somewhere.   I'm sure we'll dig it up for the spotlight on the ride.   

Super Sidewinder, Super Cat and the Wild Rider (Troika) are the three rides that have been the most difficult to find pictures of.   I think we now have 3 or 4 of Super Sidewinder, 2 of Wild Rider and only 1 1/2 of Super Cat, so if anyone has any of those, let us know! :)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 03:31:05 PM »
A 1/2? lol

Offline GAcoaster

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 03:36:35 PM »
There's a quick flash of the Super Cat's sign in the old "Magic 'til Midnight" commercial.   Just the word "Super" in neon!

Offline Railer

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 07:21:23 PM »
  That is me when I was a 14yr. old "Park Goer" in 1984 riding it in the Shot. Let me tell you one thing about that Ride, it was huge!!! There is only a few shot's of it known to Mankind, and I am happy I have the only Close Up of the Cars known to exist. The one thing I always liked about it was the exposed gears and chains, I would usually watch them the whole time i was on it.

Offline themeparkrider

• Balin's Jungleland
  • More Flags, More Fun!
    • ThemeParkRider
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 12:12:34 PM »
Could you mention any more details I don't understand?
-themeparkrider-