Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Kennywood  (Read 13605 times)

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
Re: Kennywood
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 07:12:15 AM »
Premier...inverted top hat...

My kind of ride!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 08:55:36 AM »
This seriously made my day :).

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 01:44:52 PM »
I thought it was Chiller at first, call me an idiot or call me in denial that its gone...

Inverted tophat, Sweet
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline themeparkrider

• Balin's Jungleland
  • More Flags, More Fun!
    • ThemeParkRider
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 03:30:25 PM »
New Coaster? What kind?
-themeparkrider-

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 01:00:48 AM »
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 01:04:08 AM by dkny6363 »

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
Kennywood New Coaster for 2010
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2009, 04:07:20 PM »
Kennywood's Turnpike making way for new roller coaster for 2010

It will go from zero to 50 mph in three seconds. It will hurl riders 100 feet into the air and bring them back down at a 90-degree angle. It will take them upside-down, through a corkscrew and around a steeply banked curves.

It doesn't have a name yet, but next summer, it will be the newest roller coaster at Kennywood.

The steel coaster, with 2,100 feet of track, will be powered by a linear synchronous motor, which utilizes electromagnetic propulsion technology.

It won't be as fast as the Phantom's Revenge, which reaches a top speed of 82 mph at the bottom of its 225-foot hill, but it will have plenty of other features that should make it attractive to coaster enthusiasts.

The 65-second ride will reach a top speed of 50 mph and will offer two 90 degree ascensions and drops, three inversions, a corkscrew and "cliffhangers," which leave riders suspended at the top of a hill before a drop.

The new coaster will be the park's seventh and will replace the Turnpike ride, which has been in its spot near the park's entrance since 1966.

The Turnpike's last day of operation is Sunday, and workers will begin dismantling it the following day.

The park will bring the Turnpike back sometime after the 2010 season, but will relocate the ride and alter its track.

"Guests aren't saying goodbye to the Turnpike, just saying see you later," public relations manager Jeff Filicko said yesterday at a news conference. "It will still be the same traditional ride guests know and love."

The new coaster will be the 25th in the park's history. Its location was also the location of Kennywood's first roller coaster, the Figure Eight -- later known as the Gee Whizz Dip the Dips -- built in 1902.

A promotional video of the coaster can be viewed at the park's Web site, kennywood.com.

"It's unlike any roller coaster you've experienced at Kennywood," Mr. Filicko said.

He called it "high-tech" -- it is the first coaster in the park to use linear synchronous motor technology -- and said it will more than satisfy thrill seekers: Riders will immediately launch into a 95-foot-high vertical climb rather than a traditional slow climb up the first hill. After a cliffhanger pause, the car will drop at a 90-degree angle.

Coaster enthusiasts can also look forward to a barrel roll, an "inverted top hat," which twists the train up one side of the arch and twists it the opposite direction on the way down; and the coveted "zero gravity hill," which creates a weightless feeling.

"It's going to be awesome. It's another new chapter in the park's history," said Dave Hahner, author of the book Images of America: Kennywood and secretary of the American Coaster Enthusiasts.

Mr. Hahner was one of 15 members of ACE to attend yesterday's announcement. The ride has two trains that can fit 12 people each, and avoids using "big, clunky lap bars and confining shoulder straps," Mr. Filicko said.

It was designed by -- and will be constructed by -- Premier Rides of Millersville, Md.

Kennywood will post Web updates and feed from a camera on its Web site during construction. Updates will also be available on its Facebook page, which launched yesterday.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 04:19:22 PM by PcMan »
Yo

Offline themeparkrider

• Balin's Jungleland
  • More Flags, More Fun!
    • ThemeParkRider
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2009, 03:15:34 PM »
That looks like its gonna be good!
-themeparkrider-

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 12:11:30 AM »
How busy does kennywood get?

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 02:55:41 AM »
It can get real busy. Their operations aren't top notch either. The crews are good, but for some reason, the park hardly ever opens any of the coasters with max capacity.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 07:02:09 PM »
It's worth the wait!

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2009, 12:03:48 AM »
How busy.. When is the best time to go?

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2009, 07:29:04 AM »
June, not on a weekend, just like any other park. Just don't go on a Saturday in peak season. I went on a Sunday in July and it wasn't too bad with only a 15 minute wait for Phantom's Revenge once they put the second train on. The Turtle had close to a half hour wait though, but most everything else was 5-20 minutes. I'd call that fairly typical from my visits over the last 18 years. The park is actually fairly small despite having a ton of attractions, so it always seems crowded.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2009, 12:07:22 AM »
That doesn't sound very busy. So weekdays during the summer would be real unbusy probably?

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2009, 10:43:48 AM »
I wish that would happen to SF!! :D

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2009, 06:31:49 PM »
I don't know about "unbusy", but it should be fine. Their awesome flat rides are just as popular as the coasters (as they should be), so there will be lines for everything, but once they get multiple trains on Phantom and Thunderbolt (Jack Rabbit always seems to run two and Racer needs to), their lines should be fine. Exterminator always has a long wait though. A Saturday in June isn't too bad, but any other day as long as there isn't some special non-enthusiast event going on, should be pretty decent. They do get very busy for the Phantom Fright Nights weekends in the fall though.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2009, 02:04:35 AM »
I'm thinking summer... Im skipping my cedar point fall trip this year, which means i will be going next fall. Asuming the new coaster is a reality.  Also i've been turned on to PPP by you guys. I will be hitting that up next fall... 3 trips in the fall doesn't work for me. So summer it is. I get the feeling this coaster will be a late opener though. Hopefully not as late a the Rocket.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 09:10:56 AM »
It's a Premier launch coaster. What could POSSIBLY go wrong? ;)

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2009, 12:52:21 PM »
The only premier launch I know personally is Stunt coaster at wonderland and it's as reliable as the sun rising. How reliable was chiller??? ;)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2009, 01:07:35 PM »
Don't even go there LOL.  Search the forums for Chiller and I'm sure we have a zillion pages on its status lol.  Honestly though, the Freeze coasters, Speed and the Stunt coasters seem to have all the kinks worked out these days and had it not been for that nasty train issue with Chiller, I think we'd still be riding it today.

Anybody here have actual concerns about the reliability of this new ride just because of it being from Premier or do you think they've turned a corner these days?

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2009, 04:43:35 PM »
All i'm saying is that i am planing to visit kennywood Late summer instead of spring or early summer.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2009, 11:50:24 PM »
The Revenge of the Mummy made me believe in Premier again.  Not many problems with them.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2009, 01:35:26 PM »
No, I think they are fine. From my understanding, the problems with Chiller were due to a third-party being involved in the ride. Their other rides seem to be more reliable than any Intamin coaster.

I was specifically poking fun at Chiller with my previous post. ;)

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2009, 12:28:09 AM »
Maximum RPM had alot of troubles last year. Or so I heard.

Matt I'm preparing a list of questions about PPP for you. I can't go this year but 2010 is locked. Be on the lookout for my questionair extraordinaire! ha

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2009, 12:29:20 PM »
Maximum RPM has the prototype ferris wheel lift. Otherwise the ride is the simplest Premier coaster ever, so I'm guessing all of its problems were related to the lift.

Adding a launch to a ride system greatly increases the controls/computer factor so any launched coaster is going to have its fair share of problems regardless of who makes it IMO. But once they get them operating for a while, the Premiers seem to be very reliable as far as high tech coasters go. Nothing beats a simple old Arrow for reliability though.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2010, 03:27:09 PM »
How is it possible that Phantoms is only 3200'? Thats the same lengnth as the phoenix. I would have expected atleast 4000, but more likely 5000.

What was steel phantom like? Anyone sad when they converted it?

How far from Kennywood are you guys? I'm guessing 6 hrs if your near Great Adventure.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 03:28:49 PM by dkny6363 »