Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Kennywood  (Read 13607 times)

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
Kennywood
« on: August 08, 2009, 09:30:23 PM »
Anyone who has been to Kennywood... How are the coasters?

They are all rated very well, but I get the feeling they might get some nostalgia discounts if you know what I mean. Is Kennywood worth a 5 hour drive???

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
Re: Kennywood
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 10:52:49 PM »
5 hour drive? Yes.

The coasters are all solid and the ride collection (besides coasters) is very good too. I'd go more often if it wasn't for it's location, I hate driving in that area.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 12:01:08 AM »
Kennywood is in my top five of over 100 parks I've visited. Lots of classic flats (some you can't find anywhere else) and new ones too, plus some very fun coasters. If you think parks like Great Adventure and Cedar Point are the best because of their big steel coasters, you may be disappointed. But if you like Knoebels and flat rides, then you should love Kennywood. They have three classic woodies that are all fun (to this day Thunderbolt is still one of my absolute favorite back seat rides), an indoor themed spinning mouse that makes Dark Knight look like a carnival ride, a kiddie coaster, and one of the best steel airtime coasters around--Phantom's Revenge.

Don't miss the Auto Race, Noah's Ark, Turnpike, Kangaroo, Turtle, and the newly returned Bayurn Curve. The Turnpike is rumored to be leaving at the end of this season, which is a shame as it's probably the best antique car ride you'll ever find--really elaborate layout. The Auto Race is something special. Then there are the more obvious flats like Pitfall the Intamin 2nd Gen drop tower and the elaborate interactive dark ride--Ghostwood Estate, plus the classic Old Mill ride that Garfield infested. The water rides are great as well and there is inexpensive yummy food all over the park.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 10:26:55 AM »
If you have time , add Idlewild as well.  Kennywood is awesome.  Go now !

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 09:35:29 PM »
Just watched the movie Adventureland last night it's set in Kennywood

Yes Kennywood is a great Classic park with 4 awesome coasters all very enjoyable
Loved it  can't wait to go back
 the Jack Rabbit surprise you guys kept warning me about   was a nice surprise, HOLD ON  :o

and Yes everything Matt said
I also think they have the only operating Noah Ark attraction in the world ?

if Kennywood can make a awesome indoor mouse coaster why didn't the Dark Knight come out like it or better ?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:43:49 PM by PcMan »
Yo

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 12:09:09 AM »
If you have time , add Idlewild as well.  Kennywood is awesome.  Go now !

Right this second??!!?? Ok I'll get my shoes on. haha

Matt the funny thing about your comment is that my 2 favourite parks are the Point and Knoebels. The points flaws are (hit you in the face noticable) but the positives for me are overwhelming.

Basically what you guys have told me about kennywood is what I've kind of pictured it as. The problem for me is that all these classic flats that I love, do nothing for my non-junkie family. I'm hoping after watching adventureland they'll want to go. They are much more into the point, and SFGA than Knoebels, or waldameer. As long as Phantoms, and Thunderbolt are as thrilling as they seem to be I'm sure they'll have a good time. Jack Rabbit, and more so Racer are my worry.. I'm afraid they'll think nothing of them. It looks like Jack Rabbit has its moments. Would it be a fair assesment to say kennywood style of park lays somewhere between a knoebels and hershey? A little more modern set of rides than knoebles but even less modern than hershey. But with that classic park feel.

Thanks for the tips.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 12:31:31 AM »
Turtle looks really sweet. How busy does it get?

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 01:22:46 PM »
It's much more like Knoebels than Hershey.

Racer is a fun coaster, especially in the back where you get some good air, but the closeness of the tracks allows you to slap hands and pass stuff to riders on the opposite train. Great fun.

Jack Rabbit is all about the powerful double-down. Ride in the back!

Thunderbolt is very powerful in the back but seems to be a big let-down for people who only ride it up front. Very fun backseat ride with powerful airtime on 5 hills and some great laterals. Very unique layout.

The Turtle is kind of tame the way Kennywood runs it, but it's hard to find a Tumblebug these days. The line can get long. I've waited about 30 minutes for it.

IMO Phantom's Revenge blows away the steel at Cedar Point, except for Magnum which is another one of my absolute favorites.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 01:08:42 AM »
Back seat is the only seat on woods, and hypers.. except for the phoenix.

I was going to wait untill next year but I feel a magnetic force pulling me to pittsburg. We'll have to see what thier big announcement is this week. Maybe that will make it worth waiting for.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 09:49:39 AM »
Back seat is the only seat on woods, and hypers.. except for the phoenix.

Unless you are on Magnum at CP, then 1-3 is the best :D

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 10:53:27 AM »
I prefer back on magnum. 1-3 is better for the bunny hills at the end. Thats why you ride it twice in a row. Or more.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 12:28:24 PM »
I used to love Magnum but as I get older, I can't handle the coat hanger track anymore.  Sorry Matt, yes, I'm becoming a wimp LOL.

The worst part is, I enjoy it while I'm riding but find that it ruins my day with pain later on.

Offline themeparkrider

• Balin's Jungleland
  • More Flags, More Fun!
    • ThemeParkRider
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 03:45:06 PM »
Where is Kennywood?
-themeparkrider-

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 04:09:53 PM »
West Mifflin, PA

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 06:43:14 PM »
Back seat on Magnum rules. Same for Phoenix. I've never gotten the 1.3 love. You're missing out on the big drops up there. You still get plenty of bunny air in the back plus the massive big drop air.

Wade, I can still ride Magnum non-stop even when it's trimless and the bunnies are extra good. It bruises my thighs, but those are just battle scars proving I had fun. :)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 06:53:21 PM »
Oh I could care less about thigh bruising :). I'll put up with that anyday for a good ride. Unfortunately my bad back is starting to rule my life :(

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 07:27:13 PM »
Bad back? What's that? :)

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 07:31:45 PM »
Yes, and I still do it anyway like you. I just like to complain lol

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 10:06:13 PM »
It's therapy. :)

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 12:00:14 AM »

Back seat on Magnum rules. Same for Phoenix. I've never gotten the 1.3 love. You're missing out on the big drops up there. You still get plenty of bunny air in the back plus the massive big drop air.

Wade, I can still ride Magnum non-stop even when it's trimless and the bunnies are extra good. It bruises my thighs, but those are just battle scars proving I had fun. :)

Back seat on Phoenix?!?!?  You need an intervention to cure that. That being said I guess i'll have to try it. You were right about back on vortex (CW) even though front's still better.

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 02:11:28 PM »
Hey, Anybody hear about their new coaster coming next year?
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 03:00:47 PM »
Yes. Looks like an awesome ride

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 05:54:37 PM »
It sounds very good!

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 11:58:09 PM »
I thought it was going to be a eurofighter... but apparently its premier rides, and not Gerstlauer.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 12:07:22 AM »
Looks like i'll be going next year and not this year.