Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Weak Season At Playland Fuels Debate About Park's Future  (Read 2544 times)

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Weak Season At Playland Fuels Debate About Park's Future
« on: October 12, 2009, 08:02:00 AM »
The only traditional US amusement park run by a government had a weak season, fueling more debate about the park's future. A very interesting perspective on pay one price vs. pay per ride is on page two of the article.

A short quote from page 1:

...But Spano and park officials may want to forget this summer as a slumping economy, coupled with lots of rain and mostly cool temperatures in June and July, meant Playland didn't get the attendance numbers or revenues it had hoped.

"It was a discouraging summer," said Joe Stout, commissioner of the county's Parks and Recreation Department. "The weather clearly put a damper on the season. There's no outdoor business that can sustain that and make the budget."

Because the park - a National Historic Landmark built in the 1920s - was closed 35 percent of the time because of poor weather this season, Stout expected attendance to be far below the 807,475 that came in 2008.

That means the goal of having park revenues cover its roughly $16 million operating budget won't be reached....

http://www.lohud.com/article/2009910120332

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
Re: Weak Season At Playland Fuels Debate About Park's Future
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 03:38:41 PM »
It's too bad that the park couldn't make any money this season. They have a haunted house open through October. Here's the website for this attraction:

http://www.scaredbythesound.com/default.htm
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 04:02:57 PM »
Where is Playland?

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 04:25:35 PM »
New York area.

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 04:41:17 PM »
Playland is located at Exit 19 on I-95, just miles past the NJ/NY state border. It's a park with allot of atmosphere and it's well worth a visit during the main season if you like flats and dark rides. They have a couple of water rides and coasters too.
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 04:55:36 PM »
Looks like a good park. That dragon coaster looks like something I could, literally, fit in my backyard.

http://rcdb.com/231.htm?p=12558
(Looks like a bigger version of the Millenium Flyer trains.)

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 06:11:25 PM »
Playland was closed 35% of the season due to weather?  If that alone doesn't tell you just how downright horrendous of a summer this was, I don't know what will.  This summer SUCKED!
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 06:17:05 PM »
Just to add to it, the past few summers sucked.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 08:50:52 PM »
Looks like a good park. That dragon coaster looks like something I could, literally, fit in my backyard.

http://rcdb.com/231.htm?p=12558
(Looks like a bigger version of the Millenium Flyer trains.)

Dragon Coaster is far larger than it looks.  In its day, it was quite the ride.  Of course that was long before the Morgan trains were installed.

Offline medic738

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 11:40:13 PM »
My son and I stopped at Playland on a trip up north in August.  This is a fantastic park.  Dragon Coaster was a great ride.  They also had Super Flight that was pretty unique and a good ride.  I loved their dark rides - I think they had 3 including an old mill.  I liked the fact that most of the dark rides were in great shape - all stunts seemed to be working fine.  Also, they kept them in their original shape - not convert them to "shooting galleries" like most newer dark ride attractions seem to be!  The park was very clean.  Good food.  Reasonable prices.  And beautiful scenery (I think it was on Ling Island Sound?).  A few weeks ago I watched the Tom Hanks movie "Big" that had the closing scenes filmed at Playland.  I'd love to go back!