Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Kennywood, Contractor Settle Whip Pavilion Wrongful Death Suit  (Read 1191 times)

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Kennywood, Contractor Settle Whip Pavilion Wrongful Death Suit
« on: January 26, 2010, 06:37:45 AM »
...Kennywood Park and Landau Building Co. settled last week with the family of Stephanie Wilkerson.

The 29-year-old Wilkerson was killed May 31, 2002 when 100 mph winds whipped through the region, ripping the roof off the pavilion. Wilkerson's parents sued Kennywood and Landau.

In July 2007, a jury awarded the family $1.2 million in compensation. A trial on liability and punitive damages was to begin Monday, but the sides reached a total settlement of $2 million last week. Kennywood will also have eight structures built by Landau inspected before the 2010 season begins.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/ap?articleID=3699777

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Re: Kennywood, Contractor Settle Whip Pavilion Wrongful Death Suit
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 07:36:52 AM »
I don't mean to sound cold and cruel but in all seriousness, is there ever a natural disaster anymore?  I can see getting the family something for their loss but 2 million???  There were 100 MPH winds!  A tree could have fallen on my house yesterday and killed me while sleeping!  This crap happens.  Should I sue my builder for not making it tree proof?  Whatever.  Glad the park can put this tragic event behind them now.

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:46:43 AM »
The world likes to run on accountability.  If they could have found a way to sue mother nature you bet your ass she'd be paying a few mil to a lot of families.
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 07:36:37 PM »
^ especially in Haiti... How did she die?

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 07:53:59 PM »
Who?  The woman at Kennywood?  The pavilion collapsed in the wind and crushed her....