Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Houdini is Back! Congo Rapids Improvements! FLAT RIDES!!  (Read 2692 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Houdini is Back! Congo Rapids Improvements! FLAT RIDES!!
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:37:23 AM »
Six Flags just posted a new blog discussing the Fan Call that we mentioned yesterday, and it covers some great things for our park!

March 25, 2010
Mike Scollins, Six Flags Social Media Agent

So we’ve got one Super Fan Call in the can and I’m already looking forward to the next.  Thanks again for your time, your questions and your feedback.  Mark really enjoyed himself and has already requested we get another one on the books soon.  A quick recap of some highlights (plus a few notes on what happened after.)

First, the Parent Pass.  For the uninitiated, the Parent Pass is not a physical pass but a policy across the park.  It works like this, parents and children go through the normal line queue but one of the children doesn’t ride for whatever reason – usually height restrictions but sometimes fear (I mean Kingda Ka?!  I’m 27 and still get a little sweaty in that line).  With a Parent Pass, one of the parents can ride while the other hangs back with the non-rider.  At the end of the ride, the parents swap places so that everyone gets a turn without having to wait in line twice.  Long story short (too late, I know) we had a guest ask why this policy wasn’t implemented across the board.  That’s when Mark broke it down real simple, “You’re right, it should. This policy will become universal by tomorrow.”  One of my Twitter dudes put it best, “Best part of the @SixFlags call- a lady asks for ‘parent passes’ to be available at every park, Shapiro says it will be done by morning.  BOOM!”

Then there was Jason B.’s question on Great Adventure’s Congo Rapids.  First off – THRILLED this ride was brought up.  I’m a major coaster fan but I might even be more of a sucker for the water rides.  Jason claimed some of the effects on the ride were shut down and it was losing a bit of its luster.  Ditto Jet Stream at Magic Mountain.  Despite this call happening less than 48 hours ago, I know for a fact that both are being looked into as we speak and I’ll have an update for everyone soon.

One of the most exciting things to come out of the Fan Call has got to be the return of Houdini to
Great Adventure.  That’s one you guys have been asking me for for months – and now it’s finally done.  (Apparently Mark Shapiro yields a little more power at this place than I do.  Go figure.)  So, from Memorial Day through Labor Day, Houdini will be up and running.  I’ve also got it on pretty good authority that, if everyone plays their cards right, it’ll reopen for Fright Fest, as well.

And, yesterday, my boss sat in on a meeting where Mr. Shapiro asked the Head of Ops to look into a package of flat rides for Great Adventure. You GrAdv dudes sure are vocal about what you want.

Full transcript should be available soon. I’ll try to post it online as soon as I get it. Thanks again, guys. Your feedback is going to help make 2010 even better.

Mike
Six Flags Social Media Agent

AWESOME! I don't really know what else to say!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:38:58 AM by jglonek »

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Re: Houdini is Back! Congo Rapids Improvements! FLAT RIDES!!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 11:02:07 AM »
Great job to all of those involved.  And for the record, Mark does an excellent job writing things up.  This kind of fan interaction is what will bring the people back, improve word of mouth and restore the brand image.  Good job!

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:30:40 AM »
One thing here though the Parent Pass at SFGADV was a physical pass as of last year I did pick one up at guest relations . I am now wondering if this is still going to go on . The point of the pass was not to have the child wait in line for rides the kid cant even get on . Especially at the age of 8 and 9 when they are just shy of the right height . Just wanted to throw that out there .

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 11:38:32 AM »
Either way, thanks to you it will be at all parks. This will be a wonderful addition to parents everywhere.

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 11:46:31 AM »
So does this mean I have made a difference in my life and can now die a happy woman ... LOL :)

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 12:40:14 PM »
Not only yours, but parents visiting Six Flags everywhere! ;D

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 06:57:06 PM »
Wow.  I'm impressed and happy.

Reopen Houdini.  Bring in three or four flats soon.  Won't be long until Great Adventure is once again the seasonal park for families and enthusiasts to visit, bar none!

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 01:16:20 AM »
And people think Six Flags doesn't listen. HA!
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 06:57:15 AM »
The old Six Flags didn't.  They just put in more and more coasters while cutting back more and more on other things that matter.

Thankfully, it appears the new Sheriff is going to be staying, and the new way of doing things is improving a bit each year.  Continuous improvement....and we are getting to having a Six Flags day!

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 07:44:56 AM »
We know that, but hopefully this is the beginning of people holding stuff the old Six Flags did against the new Six Flags in an unfair way.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 05:36:47 PM »
I am exited that congo rapids is being fixed up!