Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: How The New Health Law Will Affect Seasonal Businesses Like Theme Parks  (Read 899 times)

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Q: Amusement parks and ski resorts hire seasonal workers, many of them young people who want a summer job or wish to be on the slopes as much as possible. Under health reform, will Cedar Point and Kings Island, not to mention Brandwine and the big ski resorts in Colorado and Vermont, have to provide health insurance (or pay fines) for their summer workers? Isn't that going to push up admission prices, reduce workers' wages, or affect the finances of the employers?...

For an answer according to Steven Koff at The Plain Dealer, which, in part, cites Craig Freeman, corporate vice president for operations at Cedar Fair, see:

http://www.cleveland.com/medical/index.ssf/2010/04/how_new_law_will_affect_season.html

Note:  This is not a political forum.  Please keep this in mind as this is discussed, if it is..

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
That will definitely be an interesting development over the next few years. From what I understand (which could be incorrect), the teenagers who are under their parents insurance wouldn't count against the business anyway. At Great Adventure, the park actually does already offer health insurance for seasonal team members, and has for years. That may cover them already, if the law requires that it's offered to employees, and not that everyone has to have coverage through their employer. Since the law DOES allow you freedom of choice with your coverage provider, I would imagine that the park would be fine as-is.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel