Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Tiger Shows Cancelled - What's Going On?  (Read 3686 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Tiger Shows Cancelled - What's Going On?
« on: September 19, 2010, 07:08:05 PM »
Park guests this weekend were greeted with a very strange situation happening at the Golden Kingdom. As can be seen on the park's official Facebook, Great Adventure History and Great Adventure Online, guests were told this weekend that there are no tiger shows currently. As for the future, the guests seem to have heard anything from "not for the rest of this year" to "not in 2011" to "never again".

So what exactly is going on? We aren't currently sure. Hopefully the park will make an announcement at some point, at least just saying what is happening. Obviously just having park employees tell things like the above to guests will start rumors that could be untrue! And after two days there are over 10 individual people posting on their Facebook about it.

The tiger and dolphin shows were the only ones I saw at the park in recent years, and if they are getting rid of the tigers that would be sad. Are they just renovating the show? Are they cancelling it completely? Are they going to leave a big empty stadium and viewing area there? That will look just great.

Did something happen that they have to get rid of the tigers? Is this just cutbacks because they don't want to pay for the tigers and trainers anymore?

Where will the tigers go? I highly doubt to the safari, even though they were in there while the Golden Kingdom was being built in 2005. They aren't exactly the same animals you find in there.. so I would assume they would go to another park. But where?

It would be great if this was all a miscommunication and that the tigers are not going anywhere (they are on the event guide for Fright Fest that was being given out this weekend). But with the amount of people talking about it not just on forums but on the park's Facebook as well, the guests were definitely being told something this weekend, and it doesn't look good.

Fellow Outpost readers - have you had any experiences with the tiger issue this weekend?

UPDATE: The park just posted the following on Facebook:

Temple of the Tiger will be closed until further notice. We are constantly reviewing and modifying our entertainment options. Please be sure to pick up a show schedule for the latest show information and visit us at sixflags.com for details on this season's upcoming Fright Fest lineup.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:56:51 AM by jglonek »

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
Re: Tiger Shows Cancelled - What's Going On?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 07:12:05 PM »
maybe they're moving them into the safari for winter? That sounds really strange, but we're under new management so "anything can happen" must take the literal meaning.

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 07:13:47 PM »
maybe they're moving them into the safari for winter?

They have had Fright Fest shows since the tigers were introduced in 2005. And there were pictures on the park's Facebook over the past winter of the tigers playing in the snow at the Golden Kingdom

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »
Big change is not always good I see many cuts but nothing to keep people wanting to return . Yes lets take shows away too so that more people will not return . WHAT is next to go ? Maybe like I said make it a coaster park and just coasters lets see who goes then .

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 07:40:37 PM »
Cedar Fair has been trying that.  It's not been going well...

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 08:51:33 PM »
I liked the tiger show. Hopefully they arnt selling them

Offline nachos26usa

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 12:23:13 AM »
I over heard a manager talking this past weekend saying that the new park president wants nothing to do with the animals because it wasnt cost effective. They said it was also very likely the safari would be closed in 2011 and possibly for good. I really hope this is not true because I love the safari and the animals.

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 05:29:15 AM »
I can see it not being cost effective BUT as a parent of a child in the stages of not yet 54 and over 48 inches there is little to do there . Shows like the tiger show and dolphin show are good places to keep them amused. Taking away shows and flat rides is not going to keep the families coming . I know it is new management but sometimes keeping things the way they are or improving them is after time is the way to do it I wonder how long it will be before they cut even more . I cant wait for fright fest when it is packed full of people and the lines are huge . Wonder how new management will handle that .

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 09:02:10 AM »
They said it was also very likely the safari would be closed in 2011 and possibly for good. I really hope this is not true because I love the safari and the animals.

The safari has been through many park presidents and company changes over the years. I don't think it's going anywhere.

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 09:24:02 AM »
I 100% agree with Coastermom. Even though both of my kids are 54 inches and ride the coasters, the lines are going to be out of control when there is NOTHING else to do there. The tempers are going to flare and the park is going too become dangerous when it is filled with angry guests! I am pretty disturbed by the multiple flat removal and NO replacements!

This is NOT how we make a family friendly atmosphere! My friends who are parents as well are also dissapointed. They make up part of the families who are going to stop coming to the park. They say they don't even want to try and bring their toddlers to the kiddie sections during FrightFest because the park is massively crowded and they are afraid their kids will get trampled on. I have sung the praises of the park for so many years but, not anymore, I'm sorry! If they dont start focusing on things other then coasters, they will lose alot more families!

I can see it not being cost effective BUT as a parent of a child in the stages of not yet 54 and over 48 inches there is little to do there . Shows like the tiger show and dolphin show are good places to keep them amused. Taking away shows and flat rides is not going to keep the families coming . I know it is new management but sometimes keeping things the way they are or improving them is after time is the way to do it I wonder how long it will be before they cut even more . I cant wait for fright fest when it is packed full of people and the lines are huge . Wonder how new management will handle that .

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 10:23:40 AM »
The park just posted the following on Facebook:

Temple of the Tiger will be closed until further notice. We are constantly reviewing and modifying our entertainment offerings. Please be sure to pick up a show schedule for the latest show information and visit us at sixflags.com for details on this season’s upcoming Fright Fest lineup.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:56:36 AM by jglonek »

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 12:26:20 PM »
Nice generic answer.  Not a good sign.
Didn't the Tiger Show win some awards over the years?
I really enjoy that part of the park and often stop by for a break to watch the cats play.
(Although it really could use a few more lights at night)
Are the cats still there?  Hopefully this is only temporary for the off season.

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 01:09:06 PM »
Josh over at Source says the tigers are no longer there. I don't think he would say that unless he was pretty sure, but I don't think any of us here have heard anything like that.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 02:40:23 PM »
I hope they don't change that stage for a DC comics stunt show or an expansion to Balin's Jungleland. Coastermom and Diana are right in saying that the park is losing its family orientation. They're just taking more and more steps backwards these days...

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 03:07:28 PM »
Everything is speculation right now.  For all we know there was a safety concern that caused the cancellation.

Hopefully we'll have some sort of official word on this soon.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 03:19:42 PM »
Everything is speculation right now.  For all we know there was a safety concern that caused the cancellation.

The lion mauling at MGM most likely....

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 05:03:08 PM »
Saw this on screamsape:
Six Flags Great Adventure has sent work that on Saturday, September 25th Middle and High School track teams in the area will get the chance to compete in the first ever Six Flags Wild Safari Invitational cross country meet. Track teams will actually be given the chance to run alongside the exotic animals in the event that will wind through 3.1 miles of dirt and grassy terrain nearby and through “1.4 miles of the Six Flags Wild Safari American Section”. This will be the first time anyone will experience the safari… outside of a vehicle, running through the environment with feer, llama, wild turkeys and more. Should be an interesting and rare opportunity for these kids for sure.

I might be running with fear!
Or maybe they got rid of all the man eating animals here also.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 05:46:16 PM »
What...The...F***?!? I wouldn't do that even if someone payed me!

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 08:56:33 PM »
I would make a monkey get on my back so i could brag that i gave a monkey a piggy back ride