Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Temple of the Tiger Officially Gone  (Read 6064 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Temple of the Tiger Officially Gone
« on: September 30, 2010, 10:57:16 AM »
UPDATE: Temple of the Tiger is officially gone, for good.

The park has posted the following on their Facebook:

We are constantly reviewing and modifying our entertainment offering and after much discussion and consideration we have come to a decision to close the Temple of the Tiger facility.

We recognize that these majestic animals play a vital role in building public awareness and promoting conservation through education. Adjacent to the theme park is our 350 acre wildlife preserve, home to more than 1,200 exotic animals from around the globe. Our Bengal tigers will join nine other tigers in the Asian section of the animal park.

This was also posted on our Facebook page by a fan, who received an email from the park:

We are constantly reviewing and modifying our entertainment offering and after much discussion and consideration we have come to a decision to close the Temple of the Tiger facility. We’re still providing our guests with an in...credible value and a tremendous family entertainment experience including 13 thrilling roller coasters, four children’s areas, shows including Dolphin Discovery and a sensational concert line-up. Next year, since we need to renovate our product offering, we are planning a new show to entertain our visitors.

We recognize that these majestic animals play a vital role in building public awareness and promoting conservation through education. Adjacent to the theme park is our 350 acre wildlife preserve, home to more than 1,200 exotic animals from around the globe. Zoological parks such as the Wild Safari enable us to educate the public about the critical interdependence of animals and our environment. Our Safari staff continues to concentrate on preserving the most endangered and threatened species including the Addax, Scimitar Horned Oryx, Siberian tiger and many others. Our Bengal tigers will join nine other tigers in the Asian section of the animal park.

Please know that our Bengal tigers are in good hands. Our Wild Safari team has a commitment to excellent animal care, and is passionate about their well-being. We are proud to be able to offer an opportunity for the public to observe these amazing animals. We want to continue to create a greater awareness about the plight of these animals and their natural environment.

Previous Post:

Not to stir the pot anymore on our missing tigers, but it appears the Temple of the Tiger page on the official website has been deleted. You can still see it on the Entertainment page, but the link goes nowhere.

This doesn't look good! Maybe it's just a mistake?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:03:44 PM by jglonek »

Offline Coasterdude28

• Affiliate
  • Monkey Around
Re: Temple of the Tiger Officially Gone
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 12:22:53 PM »
One of the best things to happen to the park in its recent history (addition of GK), and they are already killing the section. Really really not cool.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:02:21 PM by jglonek »

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 12:43:13 PM »
If it is not going to be open the rest of the season, why would they leave the page up?

I'd not panic yet.

The fire department, on the other hand, if true, I'd be far more worried about....so far.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:02:30 PM by jglonek »

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 01:22:37 PM »
This is a dissapointment I really enjoyed seeing the tigers in that area of the park . My son loved them playing in the water it was a cool experience ... :(

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 01:26:51 PM »
We're still providing our guests with an incredible value

Unfortunately, that seems to be their answer to everything.  That's the same answer they give about the season pass parking issue.  While it may still be a value, cutting back on things the guests are used to having is not a good way of doing business.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 01:35:55 PM »
As Kevin Yee puts it, Declining by Degrees. They keep slashing things little by little without paying attention to how all of these things added up to the overall guest experience. This could end up being the case here because I know we always stopped by to see the tigers and subconsciously will likely feel a lesser experience next season if they are gone. Eventually we'll have a coaster park that exhibits no emotion and that will ultimately affect the bottom line. Hopefully some smarter people prevail here because while many things I hear are wonderful, it should not come at the expense of taking away from what makes the park "our" park.

And per the fire department comment, that is official unfortunately.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 03:34:34 PM »
Well, let's see what else gets cut for our 50th anniversary, so far moree has been cut than put in.

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 04:50:51 PM »
Another slight variation on their comments, since they are responding to people on their Facebook:

Hi Nancy. We are constantly reviewing and modifying our entertainment offerings and after much discussion and consideration we have come to a decision to close the Temple of the Tiger facility. We recognize that these animals play a vital role in building public awareness and promoting conservation through education. The will still be found on the Great Adventure property - they'll just be moving adjacent to the park in our Wild Safari which is also home to more than 1,200 exotic animals from around the globe.

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 06:03:55 PM »
when ever i would go to Ka i would stop and look at the tiger. Do you think they will move the turtles there?

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 06:41:30 PM »
If the viewpoint is, as I am beginning to suspect, "You wanna see animals, you are going to have to go to Wild Safari, at extra expense," I'd almost expect the turtles to become part of the safari...

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 08:33:40 PM »
With that statement considered, I guess they'll take out the log flume so people have to pay extra to go to the water park just to cool off...

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 09:12:21 PM »
Temple of the Tiger to a VIP Smoking Area!
Watch them smoke behind the glass.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 10:14:20 PM »
/\ LOL it's just like the glass smoking rooms at some airports. Smokers behind glass lol

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 10:47:52 PM »
Jerry! They stole our idea!
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 11:25:47 PM »
Only the first one - we still have the Golden Kingdom Cabana Cove idea!

Offline Coasterdude28

• Affiliate
  • Monkey Around
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 02:51:02 PM »
Definitely one of the worst moves the park has made in a while. Yes we are all coaster enthusiasts, but we also can appreciate the other aspects of a park that make it enjoyable. The tigers and that whole area were one of the things that gave the park some character. Really upsetting to see this happen.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 04:35:37 PM »
Well, I want to see what else they have planned. I'm heading out tonight for Fall Family Fun Night and I'll post about what's happening.

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 09:03:31 AM »
Maybe they could make it a cove with a swimming hole ! They have two pools in there LOL

I have to say all joking aside these moves make me wonder what they really have going on ? These are HUGE cuts to major areas of the running and entertainment of the park . I am sure many will not return after a few visits next summer or spring because I am sure the cuts will be noticed . Yes Green Lantern will pull in some but I see many of the people with families not wanting to return if there is not much of anything else to do but the coasters . The kids with my sons height are not happy there and I think going to Hershey or Dorney maybe a better option for some . Just wondering how much more will go over the winter ?

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 07:49:23 AM »
Too bad this topic didnt start off with "The Dippin Dots guy told me..."
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 02:33:05 PM »
HE'S BACK!!!! but yes, I do wish it started off as "the dippin' dots guy told me..."

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 06:13:49 PM »
I only wish it had been the Dippin' Dots guy.  Then, perhaps, it would not be, as this appears to be, true.

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 09:14:33 PM »
I <3 dippin dots guy...... Im sad to see this go. I am suprised. its like there trying to to make this a coaster park

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 03:32:16 PM »
I <3 dippin dots guy...... Im sad to see this go. I am suprised. its like there trying to to make this a coaster park

Bad move, enough said...

Offline mtnwolf63

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 01:20:34 AM »
Visiting Temple of the Tiger was an awesome experience. I went back many times each season since 2006. Funding is not the reason for the closure since the park is in the process of building a new roller coaster. The only other place that compares is Odin's Temple of the Tiger at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. The Kingda Ka roller coaster was named for Kingda Ka the tiger. So many people are disappointed. Here's some video of the Tigers in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07KOUj9zncg#noexternalembed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwZuEY9SY78#noexternalembed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTcwUolM-U8#noexternalembed
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 12:05:15 AM by mtnwolf63 »

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 11:30:01 AM »
Assuming that is true, I do not believe it is up to the trainers to decide if and when to breed any animals, regardless of how long they have been with them. I would think that would be up to the vet techs that take care of the animals.

Also, who knows how tigers act when they are in heat and start to mate. They may no longer be usable for education and show purposes once that starts.

Not to mention the conditions at Temple of the Tiger may not be suitable for any pregnant tiger, or infant tigers.

While these tigers are rare, and they should definitely breed at some point in their lives, if the trainers took it upon themselves to attempt to breed them without authorization from the park management and vets then they deserved to be fired.