Industry > Industry News

The state of wooden coasers

(1/3) > >>

dkny6363:
I was thinking while looking at the new SDC additon. It looks like there is a new player on the wooden coaster scene. Is there enough room for all these companies? I fear Gravity Group or GCI may suffer badly from this. Especially in North America. Other than mini's the last GG in NA was 2008 RF2. No sign of the second Intamin woodie in NA and its going on 7 years. I guess the coaster boom in China will keep them a float for a while...

Any thoughts on this? I had more to say but Im being wisked off to a movie.

B-mac:
You forgot about wooden warrior canada. Trust me, the woodie companies are fine.

dkny6363:
^ I said other than mini's... Wooden warrior is what I meant by mini. My point was there is only so much work to go around. I'm not sure 3 major companys can exist in the wooden coaster market.

AV Matt:
At one point we had CCI, GCI, RCCA, Taft (Hurlers if I recall),and Intamin all making woodies simultaneously.

Rocky Mountain Coasters makes hybrid rides, not exactly true wooden coasters IMO.  I think TGG and GCII will be ok for a while, but we probably won't see much from them close by for a while. New GCI in Florida and California next year though!

Blackhand1001:

--- Quote from: AV Matt on August 11, 2012, 12:53:00 PM ---At one point we had CCI, GCI, RCCA, Taft (Hurlers if I recall),and Intamin all making woodies simultaneously.

Rocky Mountain Coasters makes hybrid rides, not exactly true wooden coasters IMO.  I think TGG and GCII will be ok for a while, but we probably won't see much from them close by for a while. New GCI in Florida and California next year though!

--- End quote ---

The rocky mountain coasters still use the same shape track as regular wooden coasters so they should ride similarly. All the new type of track really does is reduce the maintenance costs and allow more intensity and crazier transitions. Also intamin while using cnc machines uses essentially the same materials as traditional wooden coasters. Track is square and the supports are made out of wood. The rails are laminated steel but all wooden coasters are built that way.

Partially assembled rocky mountain rail.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version