Industry > Industry News

The state of wooden coasers

<< < (3/3)

Edwardo:
Voyage cost $8.5 mill.  Prowler, which is about half the length of Voyage, cost $8mill.  GCI and RMC are going to cost more up front because the cost of maintainance is less over time.  GG Coasters, with Timberliners, could be less and less cost over time now.  I think they've learned some things with Voyage, especially the recent re-build.

We aren't seeing as many wooden coasters right now simply because parks aren't building as many coasters.  I do think that we'll see more wooden coasters built in place of steel due to cost, especially since these companies are offering more and more maintainance friendly rides and trains.  I know M&V and GCI are doing lots of rehabbing.

And in a decade or so, I think that you'll see less Intamin wooden coasters, especially in the states.  They're expensive.  Yeah, it's less to maintain, but now that the other 2 big players and an up and coming are less to maintain AND less expensive, Intamin just isn't going to do much wood.  And they don't need to.  They have plenty of new other rides, as well as replacement parts to keep them in business.

I think that we'll see midsized coasters at parks in the US.  Outlaw Run, while extreme, is a midsized coaster.

And I think the company that is going to hurt is PTC.  I could see any remaining GCI coasters that have PTC trains get MilF trains (are there any more besides Roar West?).

Any new GG coasters will have Timberliners, and I could see GG pushing Timberliners for Hades and any other coaster they've had a hand in.

RMC is making their own trains now too.  So is Intamin as they have been.  The only thing keeping PTC in business is if Larson (Formerly S&S/Arrow), Vekoma, or someone fringe company built a new wooden coaster and didn't build their own train (and I think Vekoma does...).

They'll survive plenty of time on replacement parts, but if and when major parks start replacing their rolling stock and/or get rid of their wooden coasters (Or pull a Texas Giant), then PTC's business will dwindle.

B-mac:
I think you mean Roar East?

Some CCIs still run the old PTCs (Great White, Ghost Rider, Timbers, Tremors). I believe Dauling Dragons also got PTC trains instead of Timberliners for some totally last second reason. Besides those points yeah PTC definitely is going to get hurt in the long run as manufacturers make and use their own trains over time.

AV Matt:
PTC has something like a hundred wood coaster trains currently operating throughout the world. It will be a while before they run out.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version