Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Wild Safari will no longer be Drive-Through  (Read 7404 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Wild Safari will no longer be Drive-Through
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:20:12 AM »
According to the park's office Facebook page the Wild Safari will stop allowing guests to drive themselves through on September 30th.

Here is the full notice:
Breaking News: Six Flags Wild Safari will discontinue allowing guests to drive their own vehicles through its gates on September 30, 2012. The animals will all remain on property and under the excellent care of our veterinary and animal husbandry staff. More to come when we release the details for our 2013 season on August 30, 2012.

This is definitely the end of an era. We will have to see how the changes are handled when the park makes their 2013 announcements next week.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Re: Wild Safari will no longer be Drive-Through
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 12:05:58 PM »
Full press release:

Six Flags Great Adventure Invites Guests to Take Last Drive Through Wild Safari Animal Park

JACKSON, NJ – August 20, 2012 – After 38 years of operation and more than ten million drive-through visitors, the Six Flags Wild Safari will discontinue allowing guests to drive their own vehicles through its gates after September 30, 2012.

Described as the world’s largest drive-through safari outside of Africa, the 350-acre animal sanctuary is home to 1,200 animals from six continents. Although park management will not release details about the safari’s future until August 30, the park’s president assures guests that all animals will remain at Six Flags and continue to receive first-rate care and attention.

“Animal preservation and education has been a cornerstone of Six Flags Great Adventure since we opened our gates in 1974,” said Park President John Fitzgerald. “While significant changes are on our horizon, our veterinary and animal husbandry staff will continue to provide excellent care for the more than 70 species of exotic and domestic animals that live here at Six Flags.”

Fitzgerald declined to release any further details.

“Six Flags Wild Safari has been an institution for many families whose first glimpse of exotic animals was with their faces pressed up against a car window. That chapter of our history is now drawing to a close,” said Safari Director and Chief Veterinarian Bill Rives.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:31:54 PM »
Kilamajaro Safari?

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »
Goodbye Bizarro?

EDIT: What are the chances that they place the entrance of this "new" attraction in the now wide open Golden Kingdom area? imo, it's too far away to have people board and depart from there. But of course some people say they're going to make the entrance over by Kingda Ka's tower.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 01:07:34 PM by B-mac »

Offline Blackhand1001

• Global Moderator
  • Houdini's Great Escape
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 05:05:38 PM »
Goodbye Bizarro?

EDIT: What are the chances that they place the entrance of this "new" attraction in the now wide open Golden Kingdom area? imo, it's too far away to have people board and depart from there. But of course some people say they're going to make the entrance over by Kingda Ka's tower.

I actually could see this as a way to get more traffic over at Bizarro. Place the station for the tram or whatever the new system will be for the safari by Bizarro. Have it inside the park from now on. This would in fact increase the amount of traffic the safari gets as well as you can do it from right inside the park.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 05:12:22 PM »
/\ I like your thinking that by keeping both, ridership would increase for medusa. They certainly could fit both but the backstage area behind the arena would have to be re-worked and the trailer would have to go but I agree, that could help. Still worries me though because I learned of the medusa rumor long before the safari thing hit a few weeks ago so who knows what the deal is.

And yes, I could even see the former balins jungland area being a load zone to go in and out. It would require some minor work on the path to ka as there is a narrow path behind toro and RT but certainly doable.

Who knows. This could be exciting so we'll have to wait and see!  And I've never hoped this much that I was wrong with a rumor since I actually like medusa :).

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »
I know nothing about the Bizdusa rumor, but I wonder where it could go if they take it now.

Rule out the following:
SFMM HAS IT
ST LOUIS IS GETTING A BOOMER
OVER GEORGIA JUST GOT DDD
SFA JUST GOT APOKALYPSE
SFNE JUST GOT DÉJÀ VU
SFGAM JUST GOT XFLIGHT
MARINE WORLD JUST GOT SUPES
FIESTA TEJAS HAS ONE

That leaves parks outside the US. Granted just because some parks just got coasters doesn't mean they can't, but I don't see any that just got something getting this.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 06:47:55 PM »
SFOT is removing two rides and clearing out a nice plot for a new ride....

Total speculation though.

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »
Marine World has a floorless, so does SFMM, SFNE and Fiesta. So they're out.

I'm told it's staying but I could be wrong.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 06:51:11 PM »
SFOT is removing two rides and clearing out a nice plot for a new ride....

Total speculation though.

400+ foot Sky Screamer. Obviously they're clearing more land than what that calls for, so maybe, just maybe...

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 06:55:58 PM »
Could the ride fit there?

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 07:00:31 PM »
I'm not sure, possibly? If they add Maverick's zero-g roll to it, I'm sure it'll fit.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 08:05:21 PM »
Oh Em Ge.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 08:11:08 PM »
Here's SFoT's removal spot and here's bizarro. Not sure how much real space is available at Over Texas, definitely need some redesigning for Bizarro to fit in that spot. They're also very likely to get some insanely tall sky screamer like what SFNE is getting. SFStL is also a good candidate, but they're also getting Flashback (then and again SFMM got two new coasters last year...).

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 09:09:07 PM »
I agree. A sky screamer makes the most sense there. Although I do believe they also own that building behind Batman so it's not completely out of the question lol

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 09:27:24 PM »
Sky Screamer is set in stone from what I'm told, as well as the purchase of land behind Batman to expand the Gotham area. Maybe Medusa will become Green Lantern?? The plot thickens...

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 09:38:46 PM »
I could see it there if they remove the building. It's not going to St Louie. Different market than SFMM.

Offline gafreak

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 10:31:15 PM »
bizarro isnt leaving quite yet , that idea was dropped a few weeks ago, the safari is in desperate need of a revamp, jhon wont remove a coaster unless hes replacing it....

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 12:22:46 AM »
bizarro isnt leaving quite yet , that idea was dropped a few weeks ago, the safari is in desperate need of a revamp, jhon wont remove a coaster unless hes replacing it....

How was it dropped a few weeks ago? Where did you hear this?

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 07:31:30 AM »
I heard the same thing.

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 10:39:54 AM »
It is sad to see the safari change in any way . I long for the days of the baboons on my car as I drove through that area . AS with all things I do know that change is needed and the safari is in need of it in a big way ! I do love the idea of a Kilimanjaro type of ride there instead ! That being said I would like the safari to still be included with the season pass and not a huge up charge . We all know that a pass change may happen but I was super happy with the 3 park pass this summer .
As for Medusa / Bizarro I would like to see it stay as people do enjoy it and it has not been that long since the change over ! If the speakers worked on it half the time we went then it would be a good ride ! 9 days and we will not have to guess anymore !!

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 08:27:31 PM »
WHat about a Monorail or something like that ?

what love to see a Cheetah type coaster run through some of the area really long a combo coaster fast and slow to see the area then speed up in others
just wishful thinking  :P

Yo

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 09:28:29 AM »
If Monorail = the old hay ride

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 09:41:11 AM »
You don't want Cheetah Hunt, trust me :)

Offline Blackhand1001

• Global Moderator
  • Houdini's Great Escape
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 07:56:26 PM »
You don't want Cheetah Hunt, trust me :)

I concur, it was pretty damn lame in my opinion. Especially in a park that so many forceful rides like montu and kumba. I waited the longest for cheetah hunt and liked it the least. Everything else was a walk on.