Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: If you were in charge. (Part 2: Great American Scream Machin  (Read 13066 times)

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
If you were in charge. (Part 2: Great American Scream Machin
« on: November 04, 2005, 02:39:33 AM »
The year is 2008.  Next year GASM will be 20 years old.  It is still a workhorse, but ridership has fallen to dismal levels and the ride's structure needs a decent amount of maintenance every year to replace stress fractures.  Would you rehaul the coaster, or replace it?

What I would do is have a celebration for the 20th year of the coaster being in service throughout the 2009 season, similar to what SFOG did for Great Gasp.  Then, towards the end of the summer season a new attraction for 2010.  This coaster would not just be another looper in Great Adventure, this coaster would be *the* looper in Great Adventure.  I would contract Intamin AG to build a 200+ foot monster of a looper.  This coaster would have at least 11 inversions throughout it's course to be the world's inversion champion.  It would be the perfect replacement for GASM, keeping great screams in the area for years to come.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 11:32:38 PM »
I guess I'm the only one here who likes playing General Manager. :lol:

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 07:11:11 AM »
:lol:  

I'm just curious, when was the most recent mega looper installed?  We could see a switch back to them by this time.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 07:47:12 PM »
I forgot to add that unfortunately, I very much believe that GASM will be gone by 2008-2010.

The paint looks nice and all but that was a rather minor investment that was basically forced upon them because of the condition of the ride.

I also think this end of the park has some big changes in store.  Maybe something with the hotel or perhaps another new themed section or ride but regardless, its days are numbered. :(

Offline MForce23

• Monkey Around
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 08:08:04 PM »
If Gasm leaves im going to miss it. :cry: But somthing alot better will be a better change....i guess.

I have a question what is going on with the hotel? I thought they were suposed to be working on it by now.. :?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 08:45:06 PM »
The hotel wasn't expected to start until after El Toro is completed because that area is being used as a staging area ;).

I would fully expect the hotel to start taking shape very early next year and its likely it won't be done until 2007.

Yes, I'll miss GASM to  :cry:

Offline stew560

• Jolly Roger
  • Disco Stu Doesn't Advertise!
    • Stew560's SmugMug
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 08:40:35 AM »
I also agree that GASM has seen better days, but as much as it has a cult following, if you look at the lines, they just aren't there. Before I even got through all of RJ's post, I had the same idea of replacing it with an Intamin looper. (cough*Colossus*cough) Maybe one that is a mix of airtime/twister/inversions.
2009 Trips to GAdv: None Yet!
Bull Rides: (34) -- KKount: (65.5)
View My Pictures!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

Offline Deadman

• Carousel
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 04:14:17 PM »
For the majority of the season GASM's lines aren't anything, but  I've seen it in some switchbacks a few times this season :mrgreen:
Anyway, I'd keep it through 2009 to get a good 20 years out of it, and then replace it the following season with an Intamin looper.
is back? in black?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 09:45:25 PM »
Doesn't it seem like the mega loopers age poorly just like the huge wooden coasters out there (cough: mean streak, hercules)?

I really wonder with todays modern technology if they could pull off a mega looper again and still have it become really popular.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 11:51:24 PM »
Are you talking about Arrow pulling off a mega looper now a days? Or B&M or Intamin?

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 09:21:02 AM »
I think that if the Arrow Mega Loopers came after Arrow realized that heartlining was important (ie: Tennesee Tornado) then yes, they would have a higher ridership now and people wouldn't be complaining about headaches and headbanging.  The track itself is great, it's just those poor transitions that really kill the thing.

Offline gadvrider2

• Koala Canyon
    • http://Gainsider.com
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 12:25:25 AM »
Yea I will be sad to see GASM go. It was the first roller coaster I ever went on, so it will be very upsetting to see it go. However, if it has to go, then they better bring something 10 times better.

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 08:31:21 PM »
Quote from: "stew560"
Before I even got through all of RJ's post, I had the same idea of replacing it with an Intamin looper. (cough*Colossus*cough) Maybe one that is a mix of airtime/twister/inversions.

Maybe Intamin would consider throwing the Accelerator *drools* restraints on the loopers since a few Accelerators are going up side down. GASM has a rather large foot print so it could hold a huge coaster although I wouldn't want the 5 heartline rolls in a row.

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 11:32:23 PM »
^ Just out of curiosity... which Intamin coasters with inversions have the lap bars like Xcelrator?

It would be sad to see GASM go, any coaster for that matter (yes, even Viper) On the other hand... IF a ride like Thorpe's Colossus were to be installed, I'd be one happy camper... even something like the Intamin Coaster in Malaysia.. here's a link incase you haven't seen it.  http://www.rcdb.com/ig1607.htm Supersonic Odyssey it's called. Looks fun! I also wouldn't be upset if it were replaced by an Intamin Gyro drop, a Topple Tower, a "Bell" ride, Screamin Swing, Impulse Coaster... any type of flat ride or smaller coaster package.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 11:39:26 PM »
Quote from: "Frissbeking"
^ Just out of curiosity... which Intamin coasters with inversions have the lap bars like Xcelrator?

Not the Xcellerator lap bars, but the Storm Runner, Kingda Ka, Kanonen, etc. Accelerater OSTR's

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2005, 11:51:18 PM »
Quote from: "SilverBullet"
Quote from: "Frissbeking"

Not the Xcellerator lap bars, but the Storm Runner, Kingda Ka, Kanonen, etc. Accelerater OSTR's

OOOOOh ok, gotcha. I wasn't sure they were called Accelerator coasters, I thought they were Rocket Coasters. My mistake?

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2005, 12:15:23 AM »
Come on Rob, get with the program!!  :lol:

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2005, 06:24:42 PM »
i think its time the world sees another big inversion coaster.  We have gotten away from our roots, but six flags has generously thrown a woodie in the mix, a classic at that.

I think its time we see a classif steel coaster.  It would be awesome to  see arrow come back with a new mega looper, retro style.

however... the safest bet ofcourse would have to be intamin.

but heres something else to think about.. Kumba.  There arent many beemer loopers out there these days, what if B&M brought it back and beat the looping record, and debuted some crazy inversion.  That might being ridership back to the boardwalk.
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline ChillerDude

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 04:33:29 PM »
IT cant go. It jus cant :roll:

http://www.freewebs.com/gstp/
come one come all and join the forums!

Offline David Jr

• Parachute Training Center
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 07:03:25 PM »
I agree with y'all on the Intamin looper, but here's another idea, S&S 4d. the redesigned version.
Are you ready to send those commies running back to their mommies?

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Offline lil jimmy norton

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 07:24:41 PM »
I dont know. GASM is a classic.  I would rather they take RT down. Just my opinion of course. And maybe put a drop tower there, as many people have suggested.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 08:21:25 PM »
A coaster for a drop tower? I wouldnt like that. A S&S 4D would be nice but would it ever fit into that section? I dont think it would ever fit in that area.

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006, 08:58:57 PM »
Quote from: "lil jimmy norton"
I dont know. GASM is a classic.  I would rather they take RT down. Just my opinion of course. And maybe put a drop tower there, as many people have suggested.

welcome to the boards.. but dont say take RT down too loud.  Diana and Wade might here.  And boy, they would be unhappy.  

I personally think the 3 retro rides we have should stay forever.. but lets face it.. eventually they are going to have to come down.  

a 4D would be nice but i just dont see that idea taking off any time soon.  X was before its time it seems.
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline Nitro1118

• Sky Ride
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 09:18:48 PM »
Any additions GADV makes should not effect GASM, at least for the next 5-10 years. GASM solidififies are collection of coasters, and makes it unique and different from many parks. It adds character to our park, and is a past record breaker and is a favorite of many visitors.

Just for fun, if it ever did go down, I would love to see a Intamin looper that would take after GASM's layout. It could be the same height, have similar array of elements (few vertical loops, the double corkscrew, maybe throw in a hertline or 2). Of course, the novelty would be it breaking the record of most inversions on a coaster, which is currently held by Colossus at Thorpe Park with 10 inversions.

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2006, 12:26:37 AM »
I can't picture Scream Machine not in the park. It is mainly the first thing you see pulling into the parking lot(until Ka). It is a signature ride at GADV.