Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: May 28: Where's the party???  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Cyclonic

• Insomniac
  • Global Moderator
  • Enchanted Teacups
    • Penncoasters.com
May 28: Where's the party???
« on: May 28, 2006, 06:39:03 PM »
Quick report here, but some nice photos:

I stopped by the park this morning, stayed from opening until about 12:30, pretty much just so that I could check out Plaza Del Carnival and maybe get reaquainted with Rolling Thunder (I am sure it misses me ;))

After the cute opening act with bugs and company, most folks went running either for Kingda Ka, or...

Yes, the Flash Pass  :o

I headed for Nitro, and got three quick rides on it.

After getting off I saw Tweety play a cruel joke on poor Sulvester

I checked to see if Chiller: Batman was open, it was not, and then hopped on the cables for the other side of the park.

Of course, while riding the cables, what should I see:

Sometimes you just can't win.  When I got over there again later, it was still closed  :(

Also, KK had started running, but then just as soon it seemed to stop running.  Also, when I got off, I notice Runaway Mine Train was closed.  Jeez, what is going on today.

Anyway, I went around the lake and ventured into PDC.

The area is very colorful, but not as detailed as Golden Kingdom.  Some of that feeling may be due to some of the themeing that was already there and is now just cleaned up.  The job is not done yet, there was no music playing, and the plants have only just been put in, I'd say give it a month and see how I feel about it again.  One dissappointing thing that makes no sense to me, they removed the foutain that was there.  Every Mexican plaza should have a foutain, I don't know why they didn't work around the one they had in place already.

Tango and Rolling Thunder were both running, but by the time I got back to Rolling Thunder, they had shut it down so they could do some EL Toro work near it.

Anyway, here are some photos of the area:

The "new" resteraunt, not yet open.

Tango in operation.

El Toro's Que line.  You will exit to the other side of the wooden picket fence you see...

...and to the left of this building, which is the photo booth.

New RT sign (I miss the old one, I alwys liked the graphic).

New merchandise stand.

The game buildings and bathroom with new paint.

Just some of the nice landscaping.

In the rest of the park there were a bunch of costumed charactors walking about and doing tricks:

I also saw the pirates, a mounty and surfers, but failed to photo them in passing.

There is a new '60's music show in a gazebo near the fountain as well.  They were doing a publicity shoot when I went by:

That is about it, the whether was nice, and the park was hopping, but far too many rides were down.

If you would like a Quicktime version of this 360 panorama, PM me.  I have to warn you though, it is very high quality, thus very, very large.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 06:41:37 PM by Cyclonic »
The world is coming to an end, I've actually created a blog!

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
Re: May 28: Where's the party???
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 07:01:59 PM »
Did you get any rides on RT? Nice pictures and great update!

Offline Cyclonic

• Insomniac
  • Global Moderator
  • Enchanted Teacups
    • Penncoasters.com
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 07:38:49 PM »
Nope, I walked over and they just shut it down, cleared out the station, and it did not reopen while I was at the park :(

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 08:35:24 PM »
Thanks for the photos Nate.  I had really hoped to get up there this weekend but things just kept getting in the way. 

Oddly enough, it sounded as though for the first time this season, every ride that could be open was yesterday.   And then this happens lol   Hopefully things improved as the day went on!

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 01:45:16 AM »
Great Photo Update! You are right about the sign. The new one just doesnt capture the spirit of Rolling Thunder. They should reinstall the original sign. That was the best one.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 11:19:25 AM »
So , where's  the party ?  I still want to see the right side of Rolling Thunders station where the old sign was. Is that part now a huge fence leading back to the photo booth and exit path  of El Toro?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 11:26:42 AM »
This pictures from amusementpics.com sorta shows it - but yes, there is basically a fence there for the exit path of Toro and the photo booth.

http://www.amusementpics.com/PdC/052706-018.jpg

One thing that has bothered me a little bit is that photo booth building.  El Toro's station looks cool.  I love how they added the broken off poster on the right side and the way the logo is painted on is cool to.  At night, it will look even better when the lighting is complete, etc.  BUT THEN there is this odd shaped building completely blocking your view......

As shown here

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 12:06:27 PM »
You're right about the building being in the way. They should cover it with some matador poster's. I found another picture showing more of the old RT sign area ,thanks for pointing me in the right direction. 

Offline Cyclonic

• Insomniac
  • Global Moderator
  • Enchanted Teacups
    • Penncoasters.com
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 02:03:43 PM »
This is probably the shot you are really looking for:

As for the station, while that building does block the view, a great view can be had over bywhere they have installed the bull statue.