Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Photo TR: Midwest Excursion(Updated with HW pg.2)  (Read 4751 times)

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
Photo TR: Midwest Excursion(Updated with HW pg.2)
« on: July 25, 2006, 12:10:40 AM »
Well, I will be home in 2 days. But the trip right now is going great, just rode Voyage tonight. It is awesome!

I will start updates probaly around Thursday when I upload the pictures.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 04:03:30 PM by ChuckR »

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
Re: Photo TR: Midwest Excursion
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 11:54:25 PM »
Indiana beach is awesome! Cornball was running great!

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
Re: Photo TR: Midwest Excursion
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 09:16:43 PM »
Alright, so this past Sunday I was at PKI. We arrived there around 1:30pm from the airport in Columbus after getting a rental car and some Wendy's.

Yay! PKI!

Did I mention it was VERY crowded there?

Well, I guess I will miss out on SOB! :sigh:

Boo...

Our first ride of the day was Delirium, we waited about a half hour for it. I love these things, GADV really needs to get one.

Next up was Drop Zone...

While standing in the 45 minute line, you can clearly see SOB train parked on the lift hill...

This thing is nuts, the view from up top is awesome and it scared the hell out of me.

When we asked if it will open, the attendents were like we have no clue what happened and when it will open...

Next was Top Gun, which I found to be the best steel coaster in the park.

Lots of swinging which is good!

We then went over to Adventure Express, which was an awesome mine train. We got stuck on the second lift for about 15 minutes, we got a cup of water for it which was funny.

Then got over to Racer. We rode both sides, front was rough in the back and the backwards train was good.

We then proceeded to Flight of Fear, which I was pretty excited about. The line was about 30 minutes long, but the queue was very nicely themed and they were dispatching quickly. The ride itself was not as good as Chiller and Joker's Jinx. That mid-course brake slows it down alot, but the ending was good and it felt like you were sideways when you hit the breaks.

We then proceeded to Vortex.

This ride was insanely rough and people say GASM is bad. Ride this...

Next up, Italion Job!

Good ride, I liked the Helicopter scene and the ending tunnel was awesome!

Beware? What is Rob in there?

Beast was suprisingly good, I really liked the last helix. But, those trims ruin the first half of the ride. It's a must to ride at night though, it is awesome going through the trees and tunnels when its pitch black out.

Ahh...

(No pictures)

We then made our way onto Tomb Raider, which had about a half hour line. This thing is awesome, first off its the biggest Top Spin I have ever seen. The theming is amazing and this ride is just crazy. GADV get one of these!

Then worked out where to the kiddie section and rode Rugrats Runaway Reptar coaster(I think thats the name). Pretty nice family ride, which all the kids seemed to enjoy.

Then hit up the Fairly Odd Coaster, which is practically the same thing as the Scooby Doo coaster at PKD.

By then it was getting late so we hit Scooby Doo's Haunted House. I love these kind of dark rides, I got the high score and it was probaly the best dark ride of the trip.

Yay! Two-Face, I mean Face-Off!! Which kicked butt, really smooth and had some serious g's!

Sadly, by then it was time to go. So I got my shot glasses and left.

Goodbye PKI! This place was awesome!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Re: Photo TR: Midwest Excursion(Updated with PKI)
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 10:01:30 PM »
wow, you liked it much better than me.  I thought it was the biggest waste of 45 bucks when we went.  Well, actually, Sea World Orlando was the BIGGEST waste but thats just me lol.

Nice TR - Nice pics - look forward to some more ;)

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 10:42:30 PM »
Great Pictures and update. My friend oddly loves corkscrew coasters and passed up Italian Job to go on Vortext again when we was there earlier this year. He must have a hard head if you said its a rougher ride then GASM.

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 11:58:16 PM »
wow, you liked it much better than me.  I thought it was the biggest waste of 45 bucks when we went.  Well, actually, Sea World Orlando was the BIGGEST waste but thats just me lol.

Nice TR - Nice pics - look forward to some more ;)

Sure the coasters aren't nothing spectacular. But, the flats and awesome operations sure made up for it.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 12:00:01 AM »
- 50% discount with a ACE card around $23 . ( someone sold me a extra ticket they had for $15 LOL )
- Coaster Lines not to bad considering the crowds.
- Park better then expected All coasters running (not SOB) and with 2-3 trains.
- The Beast would be a 10 if the trim brakes removed,  about 8-9 with them
- Fireworks EVERY night and a Fountain show, this kept the park packed till closing.
- I think Cedar Fair made a good move, I noticed a lot of Families.
- Well rounded park, Just needs a Hyper coaster

My small camera didn't work at P:KI  but
I did use may other one at Beech bend see pics below

www.darktipper.com/Flash/beech/album0.html
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 02:43:32 PM by pcman »
Yo

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 04:30:19 PM »
Well after PKI, we made our way to the hotel room and I immediately passed out. The next morning I woke up and got some breakfast and we were off to Beech Bend for one reason, the Rumbler! Two hours later we make it through the wierdest entrance ever and we see Beech Bend.

We walk in get our wristbands and head to Kentucky Rumbler which was still testing. They open the ride and we board.

The reason we came here!

This was the wait for the two hours we were here...

This ride was good, a great addition to this small park.

After Rumbler, we headed over to the most painful coaster ever....the Looping Star.

Just looking at it reminds me of the pain.

The best part of the ride.

Afterwards, we went over to the Haunted House but it was closed. So we went on the drop tower which was good. It was like AtmosFear at Morey's, but smaller. Then we headed to the Wild Mouse.

Notice that long line...

The ride was fun, that last little bunny hill had some sick airtime though!

After that, we went over to Rumbler for a few more times and then rode the Power Surge, which was great. We then left and made our way to Holiday World.

Goodbye Kentucky Rumbler!

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
Re: Photo TR: Midwest Excursion(Updated with Beech Bend)
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 09:17:29 PM »
How long of a trip was it from PKI to BB? Also, are you planning on going to CP while you are out there?

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 10:31:54 PM »
From PKI to BB is about 220 miles (trip is over no CP)
But the route was PKI  then drive 110 miles to Louisville KY  to a Hotel then Drive Next Day to BB 110 miles

I would do the same trip again but leave out BB as it was way out of the way (about 220 miles)
Holiday world($23) and Indiana Beach($10) are 2 parks every Coaster enthusiast and park enthusiast should visit.
I know I will be going back next year I love those 2 parks and the 6 world class wooden coasters.
If you think Knoebels is great head out to Indiana Beach you will fall in love with the place it's like going back in time 50 years.

FYI ACE is having an event at Indiana Beach next month for 2 days.
I used a Laptop with GPS for easy Navigation
We rode in and out from Eastern to Central times zones a few times so it helped a little with travel time.

The Voyage and EL Toro is very tough decision?  they are both great I would say The Voyage is the best wooden coaster with steels wheels and El TOro is the Best with Pneumatic wheels  to me they are like apples and oranges they are both great.
ET is much smoother but Voyage is one of the Best rides I ever had at night in the back seat totally awesome
if you go YOU MUST RIDE THE BACK SEAT OR ANY SEAT FOR THAT MATTER AT NIGHT   ;D 
At night it's like that out of control scary feeling, awesome . If you like J2 you will love the 2nd half of Voyage x 5 .

« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 10:12:10 PM by pcman »
Yo

Offline KingdaKaRuler05

• Monkey Around
  • Can't Stop
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 10:33:35 PM »
Very nice report and great pictures!

It seems like an excellent Midwest trip. You have to love the great, classic parks that never have any lines. Plus, you can find woodies at their best out there, except for our Toro, of course!

Can't wait for comparison between The Voyage and Toro. Should be very, very interesting...

-KKR05
Under the bridge downtown...

1 VS. 100...Fridays at 8 on NBC!

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 03:51:01 PM »
Yo

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 11:59:47 PM »
I'll have my Holiday World report up tomorrow. I have been busy this past weekend.

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 03:07:30 AM »
Liar!

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 03:49:59 PM »
Here are a few from Holiday World

www.techhi.net/FLASH/holiday/album0.html
Yo

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
Re: Photo TR: Midwest Excursion(Updated with Holiday World)
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 04:02:46 PM »
Well after Beech Bend we hit the road and made our way up to Holiday World. It was like a 2 hour drive up there, but with the time zone difference it was like we were there in an hour.

Coolest bridge ever!

Is Homer Simpson working?

We are finally here!

This is all you see of Raven.

We entered the park and headed right to Raven, which I thought was good. But have no idea, how it was rated number 1? ::)

We got a total of 5 rides on Raven, with maybe a 10 minute wait at the max. The ride IMO is much better in the front then the back. It just feels way too short, sort of like J2.

Then we headed to Legend!

Legend really suprised me. That first drop was the best drop in the park and flying through the waterpark was totally unexpected. Total of 6 rides on this, with about a 15 minute wait at the max.

Afterwards, we got what we traveled all the way from NJ for...

FREE PEPSI!

Oh yeah, this might be another reason as well.... ;D

The overflow queue, which was empty during the day. But 3/4 full at night....

The fly-through which I didn't get a picture of a train flying by.

Go ride Voyage!

This is heaven, The Voyage and free Pepsi.

The train flying through the 3rd 90 degree bank.

Now, some of you may be wondering how I compare Toro to Voyage. Well, my first two rides on the Voyage I came off the ride going thats it?? I thought the ride was really overhyped and I just didn't get the same "holy crap" feeling I got off of El Toro. The ride was still amazing, but it just wasn't better than El Toro. But the ride totally changes at night. My last ride was by far the best ride of the trip, it was pitch black and going through the woods and the tunnels was insane. The triple down was incredible and the second half of the ride was pure insanity. Where does a rate? At number 3, behind Toro and S:RoS(SFNE. But noneless, I still thought the Voyage was amazing and I definitely want to go out there next year to get more laps on it.

Gobbler Getaway, which was a cool ride. Not as good as Scooby in PKI or the one in IB.

Through the trees!

After that, we hit the Flyers which weren't that bad. We then made our rounds again on the coaster and got some food. Then ended our night on the Voyage and had our little incident. Oh by the way, don't talk to female ride attendants at Holiday World.  ;D

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
Re: Photo TR: Midwest Excursion(Updated with HW pg.2)
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 04:17:12 PM »
99% of coaster ride ops at Holiday World are Female. (also at Indiana Beach) it must be a Indiana thing or the men are working on the farms  ???
Try not to get them IN YOUR PICTURES when taking pics of the coaster trains.
Chuck can explain the rest of the story  LOL      ::)

Great park a must visit   :)

that tree pic above looks like it's alive

here some more soda and Gatorade for the 90 + heat
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 04:32:05 PM by pcman »
Yo

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 04:23:15 PM »
OK, here is the story. We just got off Voyage, so we went to the bathroom and I got a soda and while I was waiting for Tom to come out. These two security guards approach me. They start accusing me of taking pictures and talking innappropriately to the female ride attends that were working the Voyage. I couldn't believe it, then Tom comes out and they told him the same story. We basically were shocked and told the guys that we were just up there, we barely talked and we took no pictures. We even offered to show the guys our 100 pictures on our camera. They just were saying we our doing our jobs, finally we had enough and just left. Luckily the park just closed so we walked out of there.

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 04:39:05 PM »
The fact you compared Raven to J2 makes me want to slap you.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 04:40:35 PM »
I only said that because of how short it is. J2 and Raven feel like they can go another 1000 feet with all the speed it goes into the break run. Geez Rob...

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 01:23:13 AM »
I was just kidding Chuck... I think J2 is fine how it is, I dont think I'd be able to handle too much more if it were longer... Raven to me is just bleh... the tunnels are ok, the 5th drop is good and as for the rest of the ride... it's just ok.

Don't worry, I won't slap you.

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 06:12:24 AM »
I think Raven is the best ride at HW.   ;D  Voyage didn't impress either of us with it's one particular rough spot(it was so bad we had to put our hands down and brace ourselves) and overall intensity.  Legend also went way down compared to our previous rides on it.  Of course it probably didn't help that our trip in June involved all day time rides and all of our previous visits were all night time rides.  The Con next year should get us some awesome night rides.  Everyone else can have Voyage--we'll go park on Raven.  Needless to say, I far prefer El Toro to Voyage.

Sue

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 02:24:51 PM »
Here are soom reviews of HW form ECC trip
www.coasterclub.org/trips/reports/2006/usa/day14

reviews of P:KI
www.coasterclub.org/trips/reports/2006/usa/day13
Posted on: August 03, 2006, 11:32:17 am
Indiana Beach pics
www.techhi.net/FLASH/ib_flash/album0.html

ALso the park/resort is on the cover of the new Rollercoaster mag (just received today) and about 10 pages of it's history with some old photos and coaster construction pics.
Yo

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 06:00:02 PM »
They start accusing me of taking pictures and talking innappropriately to the female ride attends that were working the Voyage.
I always have a fear of that when I am taking pictures. Especially if there are teenage girls and/or young women around. Luckily none of that happened to me when I was at Hershey this past week.