Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Ideas for new GM  (Read 7655 times)

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
Re: Ideas for new GM
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 07:23:48 PM »
there are reasons behind why no one has asked for chiller to be back up.
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2006, 11:24:41 AM »
/\/\  I'll quote myself from the very first post -

Please don?t get into listing things like staffing levels, number of trains, paint, condition of certain rides, more flats, etc.  We?ve beaten that to death already .

As for the paddle boats, it is the kind of cheesy ride that adds athmosphere as well as something for families to do together.  While the capacity may suck, its still another attraction - and much cheaper that the average B&M lol.

I thought of something else that I don't think was mentioned here yet.  After being at Epcot last Sunday, another facinating attraction that doesn't do much but looks nice would be a garden maze.  It is something that the parents will enjoy strolling through while the kids are on Kingda Ka.

edit:  wow,I actually managed to dig up a old photo of my son wandering through it lol

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 11:27:05 AM by WadeJ »

Offline candc

• Koala Canyon
  • Carlos & Chris
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2006, 03:35:51 PM »
Well, I have a list of things that the new GM could improve (which I would love to see someday - wishful thinking really - lol)...

Starting with Nitro - I agree on revamping the signage (that is a meant-to-be rusted sign by the way).  But more importantly, they need to improve the access to the platform.  That narrow set of stairs, where people (are supposed to) stay to the left for front row and to the right for all other rows just doesn't work.  People just stand there in groups and block the way, so the lines take even longer.  I'd actually create a whole new set of stairs that go directly to the front row, and this might improve the speed of the people filling in all other rows.  Stairway A for front row only, Stairway B for all other rows (and the there's Stairway C near the back of the platform for Flash Pass folks).  All too often, I've seen people standing at the top of the stairs, waiting for the front, but stopping others from filling in the half empty platform and other rows.  And no employees around to keep the lines moving by directing people at the top of the stairs!

Next up: Chiiler, FreeFall, Batman Stunt Show Theatre - I'd actually get rid of all three things, and build something better, like a whole new section in the park.  Perhaps beautifying the space more, and add a new coaster, like the dive machine going into Bush Gardens in 2007.  I'd replace Free Fall with a huge PowerTower ride, with 4 towers like Cedar Point has.  SFGA just needs more rides that are operating continuously so they can process more riders per hour, and reduce the wait time on lines.  many parks do not have Flash Pass, and the lines are never as horrible as they can get at SFGA.

I would also replace the trains on Rolling Thunder with new ones, like Hershey Park has on Lightning Racer.  Those are so comfortable and more open.

And they really should try to make the waterfront walkway a little more interesting - there are lots of dead spaces, from Skull Mountain all the way to that new kids section.

Finally, it's time for a new, good restaurant - perhaps a sit-down chain restaurant, like Chili's, Houlihans, Applebee's, etc.  Kick up the level of food up a few notches! 

Anyway, just my own thoughts!  I hope 2007 has big plans for the park, even if it just means getting all the rides up to speed so they are operating daily, and on improving the look of the park even more (most areas look great and clean this year).  Who wants a ghetto park like Six Flags America in Maryland?  LOL

--Carlos

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2006, 08:11:27 PM »
Hey, quit picking on SFA.  It can actually be quite fun, and is much improved compared to past years.

And you won't be seeing GCI's trains any time soon on coasters they didn't build, unless there has been a total policy change at that company.  They sell trains only for rides they build, at least so far.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2006, 09:50:54 PM »
Speaking of SFA, Roar should get the Millenium Flyers on it.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2006, 10:06:39 PM »
Yes, Roar would be a perfect example of a coaster needing those MF trains.  They are the perfect match.  RT being born again would probably be best.  It needs a complete overhaul.  candc is right, it needs new trains.  Obviously we wouldn't be seeing GCII trains on there but new PTCs would be great anyway.  I'd be sad to say goodbye to the buzzbars but what good do they do if they never work.

I haven't been to SFA at all for the past 2 years but my last several visits in 01' - 03' were rather ghetto - both in clientle and operations.  I hope you are right gadvwow becuase that park is barely surviving at this point.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2006, 10:45:47 PM »
From what I understand, changing the coach style completely on a wooden coaster brings up so many problems that it's not worth it.  They ride differently, weigh different amounts (takes the course at different speeds), turn differently, and a host of other things that make you only want to buy a new coach that's similar, if not exactly the same.

Rolling Thunder's problems could be remedied better with some re-tracking and good old grease from what I see.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2006, 10:55:45 PM »
Oh, it can be done.  For instance, Legend at Holiday World had Gerstlauers and was converted to PTC's.  Up at SFNE, Cyclone had PTC's, was converted to Morgans, then back to PTC's.

The problem is more that GCI, at least til now, doesn't want to offer its Millennium Flyer trains for coasters it did not itself build.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2006, 12:59:14 AM »
Ah, then I understand incorrectly.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2006, 02:50:45 AM »
I still wonder if RT can even be fixed at this point...it's needs a little bit of everything!
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2006, 06:32:14 PM »
Ok, first thing that needs to be fixed is the parking lot. Especially since they put those stupid signs up now so you dont know where the hell you are going. I suggest maybe repaving it all and hopefully setting up at Season Pass lot?

Second thing is: Chiller. Yes there are rumors floating about that it may go, it may not. Should it stay, do whatever you need to do to get it running.

More to come...

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2006, 09:02:21 PM »
Pave the parking lot !!! it needs to be repaved when driving past the perfered parking into the lot to the right the  pot holes could take out a cars tires . It was pretty bad last time I was there . Now you want 45 for a season of parking and 15 a pop for the day that is a bad start for people comming in to see pot holes . just a thought if the parking lot is that under maintained what about the rides?? Not saying that the rides are all abused but kind of makes you think.  ::)

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2006, 10:20:54 AM »
Yes near the Bus Stop 2 weeks ago day after it rained there was a small lake in the parking lot and LARGE HOLES  not pot holes more like Bathtub holes.
I have a Pickup truck but if I had a Car I know I would have sustained some damage.
THey don't need to pave the lot just fill the pot holes and seal the lot.
A new pavement top coat would cost more then $300,000 +

We need one of these this ride is totally awesome
looks like it only takes a 60' footprint it can fit anywhere and yes THIS RIDE BELOW IS JUST AS THRILLING AS SOME COASTERS at a fraction of the cost. THe parachute ride is very old school and I never see it open. This is the NEW FREEFALL. or a Giant Frisbee

pics courtesy of http://casabrian.com/parks

Here is a Crowd muncher

www.ridezone.com
Yo

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2006, 11:19:46 AM »
Oh ive been saying these things for years pc man.  I miss pendy alot.

Not only does the parking lot need to be sealed.. someone needs to come up with a new plan for it all together.  The system now is horrible.  I almost get hit because people dont understand what one way means.
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2006, 02:11:23 PM »
Is it truley one way ??? LOL  Ok I know it is one way but the whole lot is a mess . We need traffic directors there every day not just a few days in the begging of the season.