Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Ideas for new GM  (Read 7656 times)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Ideas for new GM
« on: September 18, 2006, 11:19:17 AM »
Now that Mark Kane is in charge, what are some ideas we might be able to give him to make a day at Great Adventure even more memorable?

Keep it simple and to the point.  I?m just curious what some of you come up with.  And keep it within reason lol.  Obviously, he can?t control certain aspects of the park.  I?m talking about nice little things that give a park its character and in some cases, its charm and magic.  Please don?t get into listing things like staffing levels, number of trains, paint, condition of certain rides, more flats, etc.  We?ve beaten that to death already ;).

The first item I?m going to list is having the canons on the fort firing (though this idea was partially mentioned by Ron so I do need to give him credit).  They could install a good sound system with subwoofers and a smoke machine to show a puff of smoke after each ?canon ball? is fired.  Even better would be to have a big bubble burst out of the lake just like Pirates of the Caribbean to make it feel as though that was where it landed.

Thoughts?  More ideas?

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
Re: Ideas for new GM
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 12:56:17 PM »
Reverse the entrance and have the security gates before the ticket counters.  I don't know why , but  I really enjoyed it that way at SFAW.

Take hints from Dutch wonderland, LC and CLP and use the lake more. Be it with a huge paddle boat or just small swan boats.

Build a well themed  resturant in the safari that you could take a monorail too.

Remove the black loose gravel ( where they had the sand castle's and petting zoo) and replace it with grass.

Last but not least .......FREE THE MONKEYS!!!!!!! 

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 01:03:06 PM »
FREE THE MONKEYS , FREE THE MONKEYS !!! YES  :)

OK now that I just had to shout that out . Please give us back season pass parking and a better season pass entrance. Also the early entrance Fridays were great even if KK wasn't up and running it got SP holders to the park and would make us HAPPY  :) to spend more time and money there.  KEEP THE PARENT PASS!!!! and last but not least more order in the parking lot. $45 to park and it is still a disorderly mess at times when the park is crowded.  Hope to have him stay longer then the last two and wish him lots of luck with FF coming and long lines with aggravated people .
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 01:08:23 PM by Bubba Z »

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 01:15:48 PM »
I'm sorry to inform people who don't know, but a monkey was killed by being run over. Peta stepped in and now they have a fence.   I could be totally wrong and SFGADV put them behind the fence for their own safety. That.. or the park got tried of people complaining about their cars being destroyed  even after being fully warned.(see photo)   Wonder if it had to do with the easy accessibility to feed them. Who knows,  Either way... I do miss them on my car. 

« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 01:33:43 PM by Bubba Z »

Offline coastermom

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 02:25:16 PM »
 :( :( :(  Poor Monkey now I am all sad .  :'(  Ok now I will have to shout DON'T FREE THE MONKEYS !!!  I had no idea one was run over that is horriable . maybe because people in NY,NJ and Pa can't listen and NOT FEED them . We loved to see them jump from car to car though it was fun while it lasted.
Posted on: September 18, 2006, 02:24:54 pm

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 02:52:53 PM »
Swan Boats - crappy capacity but GREAT atmosphere and adds a relaxing and quiet attraction for those not into thrills.

Gravel back to grass- good idea!

Season Pass parking I think is long gone but I don't think the parent pass is going anywhere.

As for the security gates, I actually heard rumors a while back that there were plans to completely change the entry way to allow for more space between the ticket booths and the security gates though I'm not sure if the intention was to move the security check-point first or not.  This method does work very well at WDW as well.

I guess if the hotel ever happens we'll be getting the themed resturant.  They just need to figure out a way to get the GP to it so that it doesn't end up closing 1 year later.

Another idea that I know we've talked about before are chase lights on RT.  At least on the lift.  I think this would be even neater now that RT is considered the "classic" coaster with El Toro there now.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 06:27:26 PM »
The monkeys were penned up after a PETA complaint, stemming from the euthanization of a baboon I believe after it was hit by a car and seriously injured.

One thing I would love to see in the park would be more queue theming.  Small things like music in the queues to set the mood, maybe some of those placards that are more than geeky facts or sparsely placed like Superman.  For example, make it feel like you're in the city a bit with Superman.  Add just a little flavor.  Nitro could have something upbeat to build the anticipation.  Any little thing that takes you away just a little from the real world is a great help.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline David Jr

• Parachute Training Center
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 06:36:20 PM »
Some benches in the wooded area next to lakefront arena, so we can sit in the shade instead of out in the sun.
Are you ready to send those commies running back to their mommies?

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Offline snowboard101

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 07:58:05 PM »
Id like to see more and more landscaping, in some areas its really nice but in others it needs a face lift.

Maybe some more characters to, it gives the park a nice atmosphere and helps to take after Disney which is a ideal theme park.

El Toro Rides: 5   Kingda Ka Launches: 17

My Pictures

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 09:28:24 PM »
Keep the food areas clean.  The average visitor couldn't care less if an area is leased or not.  If it's inside Great Adventure, to them it IS Six Flags.  And keep the tables occupied by food buyers, not just sitters who take up seats so that food buyers can't even find a place to sit and EAT.  Much less a clean place.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 01:52:10 AM »
You are all about the patios.  I've noticed that you've posted that several times in the past and I can't help but agree on that one.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 07:41:15 AM »
There's reason for that.  I talk to a LOT of park visitors, to parks across the country.  Virtually everyone I have ever talked to who has visited Great Adventure who is not from the Northeast has mentioned how uncomfortable they felt at the park.  Most then talk about the unsavory characters and "weird activity" they see outside the food stands.

Shapiro and company have fixed the restrooms.  They are by far the neatest and cleanest of any chain parks.  They have, for the most part, fixed the midways.

It's the outside eating areas that are still frequently nasty and in many cases frequented by people who sit there for long periods of time (often smoking).  This reflects very badly on the park. 

Yes, people got to to the restroom, but you also want them to eat.  Make it a pleasant experience, and they will remember.  Let it be unpleasant and they will also remember.  Especially at the prices charged.

Every time I have discussed this with park management in the past, I have been told these are leased areas and the park has no control over the lessee.  Baloney.  Make them keep it clean.  Keep an employee out there bussing tables.  If the lessee won't do it, have a Six Flags employee do it and include that cost in the rental.

It's THAT important.  Just as important as clean ride vehicles, midways and restrooms.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 07:43:16 AM by GADVwow »

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 02:03:52 PM »
Just thought of another one that I know we've lightly discussed before.  Something that has really started catching on at DisneyLand is re-theming the attractions for the holidays.  Small World Christmas, Country Bear Christmas, etc.  But one of the favorites each year is the redo of Haunted Mansion for halloween using Nightmare before Christmas.  How about they completely deck out Skull mountain and turn it into a special effects extravagansa for Fright Fest?

Offline snowboard101

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 07:04:52 PM »
That's a great idea and would be awesome since there is allot you could do with skull mountain since it's indoors.  Maybe even update the technology in it like LCD lights or something going up the lift, and just overall re theme it basically.

Another ride that has some nice possibilities is runaway mine train.  Since it goes through the woods and stuff there's allot you could do with it especially at night.

El Toro Rides: 5   Kingda Ka Launches: 17

My Pictures

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 01:42:08 AM »
I have a few simple suggestions

A. Bring the Skull Mountain strobes and theming and such back, the music and the strobes made the ride much more fun!
B. The TV's back in the ques, when I go on sunday, id appreciate it if I can watch the Jets game  :)
C. Bring back the B:TR themeing that once made it so awsome
D. Replace the rusty sign on Nitro with a brand new stainless steel or something, sign
E. Bring back the food dispensers on the bridge
F. Bring back KK's old Que, Although this is probably illegal by state inspectors
G. Make S:UF less of an eyesore, throw all sorts of flowers or something in the non-que areas.
H. Make Old Country intresting again, its a ghost town out there.

These are just a few ideas to your already growing list of great ideas
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 11:25:58 AM »
Things like replacing the rusty sign on Nitro are VERY cheap to do and go a long way to changing the image of the park :).  Just the same with cleaning up the tables at the leasee places as well as having security shove along "squaters" to make guests more comfortable eating there.  Perhaps there isn't enough places then for people that are waiting for somebody to sit?

I to wish they could do a whole bunch of other things as well like sprucing up the Old Country but I also wanted to keep it real.  Things like replacing a sign or bringing back special effects are not really budget busters.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 02:12:16 PM »
Gosh, cleaning up Nitros station would be awesome.

I would also like Batman's station to be re-themed more like SFGam station, which was awesome. Also, please light up Ka.

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 05:19:08 PM »
Im not so sure how i feel about lighting king up.  Granted, i think that area would be kind of cool with a bit more light, but the ride itself, i think it makes a better ride in the dark when there is no light.

how about give nitros station some meaning.  its just an elevated empty shack to me.
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 06:28:53 PM »
Good point Chuck, if you seen Dragster at night you will be like WOW!! It definately could use some light, the record holder gets nothing but darkness, I thought you would want to show off your monster ride, not hide it in the night

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 08:27:59 PM »
When I saw Ka lit up last year it looked amazing. I don't know why they ever got rid of it.

Dragster does look amazing at night..

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 03:09:04 AM »
There's reason for that.  I talk to a LOT of park visitors, to parks across the country.  Virtually everyone I have ever talked to who has visited Great Adventure who is not from the Northeast has mentioned how uncomfortable they felt at the park.  Most then talk about the unsavory characters and "weird activity" they see outside the food stands.

Shapiro and company have fixed the restrooms.  They are by far the neatest and cleanest of any chain parks.  They have, for the most part, fixed the midways.

It's the outside eating areas that are still frequently nasty and in many cases frequented by people who sit there for long periods of time (often smoking).  This reflects very badly on the park. 

Yes, people got to to the restroom, but you also want them to eat.  Make it a pleasant experience, and they will remember.  Let it be unpleasant and they will also remember.  Especially at the prices charged.

Every time I have discussed this with park management in the past, I have been told these are leased areas and the park has no control over the lessee.  Baloney.  Make them keep it clean.  Keep an employee out there bussing tables.  If the lessee won't do it, have a Six Flags employee do it and include that cost in the rental.

It's THAT important.  Just as important as clean ride vehicles, midways and restrooms.

If you knew how much I agree with you there, we'd definitely have to shake hands if we let in person, lol.  It's really beyond important.

Offline coastermom

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2006, 06:18:36 AM »
Greet people in the park. Come and ask what their concerns are. Also open more then one window on each side of Guest Relations or at least get it to move faster . There are days the wait there is longer then the wait for  rides.

I too agree with getting rid of straglers at the resturants as well as keeping the tables clean .

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2006, 09:16:02 PM »
Also the new GM needs to be much more hands on, constantly visiting ops, checking on everything and make sure the place is going good, not just kick up his feet on his desk in the office

Offline coasterrider1998

• Jungleland Express
  • Cr98 in in you extended Gadvupdates Network!
    • TCT Central - The Site For The Alumni of ThrillCoaster Torus
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2006, 12:41:48 AM »
Well with Mark Kane in he is helping because RMT and Teacups are open. Also ops were very good today. At the end of the day they made a line to slap everyone's hands. I joined in, it was good. Oh and Ka was running great except for 2 bd's.

Offline Nascar48

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 04:35:01 PM »
About the paddle boat thing, I don't think they would get it because gadv already had paddle boats. Also I'm suprised no one said it yet but I would love to see better maintnence and the Chiller back up.
R.I.P. Chiller