Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: TR Cedar Point 8/26-8/27/07  (Read 2581 times)

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
TR Cedar Point 8/26-8/27/07
« on: August 29, 2007, 04:13:29 PM »
We had heard from quite a few people that the last week in August at Cedar Point is dead.  We planned our trip around that making sure to be at Cedar Point on Monday.  Whoever considers this week dead has a VERY different definition of dead than we do.  If the lines we saw on Monday are supposed to be considered short, I'd hate to see the lines at any other time!  Our previous visits to The Point were very good, but this one was disappointing.

We got there on Sunday morning for early entry with our Dorney Maxx passes.  We headed to Maverick first to find the queue almost already full.  Being that a full queue is about 1.5 hours, I guessed we would have about an hour wait.  It ended up being 1:20 with 3 closures.  We requested the front seat since we knew it would most likely be our one and only ride.  Maverick was good and better than I was expecting, but not worth the wait at all.  Out of the CP coasters, I still prefer WT, MF, and TTD over Maverick.

Before heading out for our afternoon side trip to Fun Spot, we made the rounds checking the lines to see what else we could get on with a reasonable wait.  Our first stop was Sky Hawk.  As others have said, it's a very good ride, but way too short.  Magnum was next up.  Again, we were expecting the worst, but it was actually running very well and we enjoyed it.  We then took a quick ride on Derby Racer and lucked out and caught Blue Streak right as it was opening for the day.  All the other lines were too long so we left for Fun Spot.

Upon returning to CP at 7pm for an 8pm closure, we were greeted by a 20 car back-up with only ONE parking booth open.  Our main goal was to ride TTD since they play games in the mornings with not loading full trains.  We decided to take a quick ride on Corkscrew before getting in line for TTD.  Wrong!  Of course, since we were in a hurry to get to TTD, we got stuck on Corkscrew's lift for a good 15 minutes before they got it going again.  We got in line for TTD right before closing.  It was down at the time, but we were prepared to wait it out.  It took a long time and tons of people left the line.  We ended up on the last train of the night at 9:30.  As always, it was light years better than Kingda Ka!

On Monday morning, we headed to MF for the early entry ride.  The line was already long and it wasn't even open yet.  It didn't open until 9:30.  It was almost 10 when we got off so we went to Wildcat since we knew that would be our only chance to ride that.  After Wildcat, we went to Wicked Twister.  Yes, finally a coaster without a line!  We were able to get 4 rides on one of our all-time favorite coasters.  We rode the Ferris Wheel to kill some time since Disaster Transport didn't open until 11.  We then went to the back of the park to ride Cedar Creek Mine Train and Mean Streak.  We again lucked out and caught Raptor reopening after a closure.  We ended up leaving the park around 4 for the long drive home.

It was very disappointing to only be able to ride the coasters once(except for WT) and to not even got on some at all.  There were 5 coasters we didn't get on--Jr. Gemini(didn't try), Woodstock's Express(didn't bother), Mantis(didn't feel like the pain), Iron Dragon(line was way too long), and Gemini(line was way too long with only one side operating).

On another note, Cedar Point does not enforce their no smoking policy at all. Every 5 feet we walked, both of us were constantly pointing out smokers. We also watched countless employees, including upper management in shirts and ties, walk right by them without saying a word. I don't know why they bother to claim they're a non-smoking park when they can't enforce it. They really dropped the ball on that one!  Even near the smoking areas, people were spead out all over the place.  I kept saying they need lines marking the smoking area like SF does.   :)

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
Re: TR Cedar Point 8/26-8/27/07
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 07:42:57 PM »
Nice TR we are off to the point maybe next summer . I think most people are cramming the last few visits in this week as GA was pretty crowded this past Tuesday. Last few days before school starts and there was always that thought of it will be less crowded then . It never seems to work out that way though.  Great photos makes me wanna go more but it is a toss up right now between the point and the Hard rock park with myrtle beach. I am leaning toward the point myself..:)

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 07:50:12 PM »
This TR makes me that much more excited about my weekend trip to the Point in like three weeks!

Offline lore1991

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 05:11:21 AM »
As always, it was light years better than Kingda Ka!

really? why?

"arms down, head back, enjoy your ride on KIIIIIINGDA KA"

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 08:26:37 AM »
Sue , How long did the side trip to Fun Spot take? (Sure I can goggle it it but what was the real time drive) 

Chuck, me too!!!

Lore,  TTD is better for a couple of reason.   The location. I still wish Great Adventure  had made a midway surrounding Ka so you could walk near the tower. The old queue was great on KK but I still like the way the crowds can interact with TTD more compared to KA because of stupid NJ laws and the fear of someone getting hurt, which I can understand after the accident.

The trains on TTD are better,  single lap bars.
The themeing, colors, music, location, views, and for some reason TTD seems faster to me.  That's just some of my views why  TTD is better then Ka.

If the old queue was working on Ka I might have a different opinion, but it's not... sorry.

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 10:58:19 AM »
I agree with all of the reasons Bubba gave for TTD being better than KK.  Plus the fact that TTD is way smoother than KK.  The absolute biggest reason for me is the lap bars vs. the OTSR's.

Bubba, Fun Spot is just slightly over a 2 hour drive.  Just be sure to check their operating schedule though.  As I posted, Sunday was already their closing day for the season.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 07:28:37 PM »
And all of us have our own opinions.  Me, I much prefer Kingda Ka to Top Thrill Dragster.  The launch is more powerful, the crew is more fun, and it is in a much, much better park.

For me, anyway!  That being said, I avoid the back seats of trains on Kingda Ka.  To say they are vibratey is to be kind.

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 11:52:11 PM »
Those really are some great pics Sue! The park looks so nice lit up at night!

TTD is better than Ka but not by alot...
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
Nice report Sue. I'm hoping the weekend we go there in September is dead, since I've been told that weekend is "Dead Weekend" too... How was Blue Streak running? We thought it was running excellent when we went in June, the outward run was full of "stand up" airtime.

As for TTD being better than Ka, I'd put TTD in my top 20 steel and Ka doesn't get near my top 50.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline lore1991

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 04:41:20 AM »
i think that Ka is better... i rode both coasters, and even if TTD has a couple of things better than KKa, i place it 3rd in my top 10.. Ka it's 2nd  ;)

The launch is more powerful, the crew is more fun, and it is in a much, much better park.
the same reasons for me  ;)

"arms down, head back, enjoy your ride on KIIIIIINGDA KA"

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 09:23:53 AM »
We only had one front seat ride on Blue Streak to base it on, but I would say it was running well.

I hope your visit it "deader" than ours, Rob.  If it is, let me know so we can go on a September weekend next time.